Wednesday, April 9, 2014

April Redwork Birdie Stitches and All Those Hard-Boiled Eggs

 
I enjoy doing redwork and found this Birdie Stitches Block of the Month by Little Miss Shabby free online:
http://www.littlemissshabby.com/2010/12/birdie-stitches-supply-list/ 

I printed the designs from the Little Miss Shabby website.  Next, I ironed freezer paper to a 12" square of the Kona cotton in Snow.  I taped a paper pattern to a window, then taped the cotton backed with freezer paper over the paper.   I traced the design with a pencil.  I added the name of the month to each block by finding a script font on my computer and enlarging it to 72. 

I used No. 8 perle cotton in red.  I have done redwork on a single layer of fabric, and the knots show through from the back. I've tried backing the fabric with very lightweight iron-on interfacing, but the interfacing wrinkled. This time I used a double layer of the Kona cotton. I ironed the layers together and used an embroidery hoop. I didn't baste the two layers together, but it has not been a problem. I'm very pleased with the results.
 
Here's a tasty way to use all those hard-boiled eggs left after the Easter egg hunt!  Enjoy!

Creamed Eggs with Asparagus and Peas Over Toast
6 tablespoons butter
6 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
4 cups milk
1 pound cooked fresh asparagus, cut in 1" bias strips
2 cups fresh or frozen peas
8 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
 
Toast
 
1.  Melt butter in large saucepan.  Stir in flour, salt, and pepper, cooking for
two minutes until the paste bubbles and cooks but is not browned. 
2.  Gradually add milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly.
3.  Stir in asparagus, peas, and eggs, just until everything is hot.
4.  Serve over toast.

And a fun poem by Heidi Mordhorst:

Shell Game

 everything
 
about an egg is
 
smooth or round or cool
 
the shell    pin-thin and brittle
 
the yolk    a little mound of sun
 
the white  sticky-thick and spreading
  
 resting still as a stone in your palm
 
everything about an egg
 
is nothing like
 
a chick
 
Do you celebrate Easter in your home?  If so, how do you celebrate?  Inquiring minds want to know!  By commenting, you'll be entering this month's give-away of Marie Bostwick's newest book APART AT THE SEAMS, coming out the end of this month.  Three lucky people will each win a copy, courtesy of Kensington Publishing!  If you are reading this via email, you must click on the title of my blog post to be able to comment and read the comments of others.  The winner will be announced on May 1.
 
You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post  Cobblestones Quilt Block and the Setting of A Thread of Truth.

5 comments:

  1. Church and choir take up much of the day and this year, the scouts are going to get what is left. We always made colored eggs and this year I think my little granddaughter will come to try her hand at batik eggs.
    While I was typing this, my book club book arrived in the mail. Looks like I will be doing a bit of reading too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family has spent Easter morning doing the same thing since 1970. I was in 10th grade that year and the high school youth group in our church were trying to earn money to go to a national convention in NYC. We started the tradition of cooking breakfast to Serve after the sunrise service on Easter morning and have done it every year since. My dad was the cook and is now 91 and has passed his"ladle" on to my brother. The youth of the church do all the set up , serving, and clean up. They continue to receive the money for their projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a Saturday Easter dinner with extended family. Then we can all be at our home churches on Easter Sunday. I will attend church where the children I work with are going to sing two great songs for the congregation. It's possible that we could get a last minute invitation to visit other relatives in the afternoon. The most important part will be celebrating that Jesus is alive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We never did much with the Easter bunny, etc. We try to keep Easter as a reminder of the cross, and what Jesus did for us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes we have an Easter egg hunt on Saturday. We spend the week before talking about how Christ spent his last week on earth. Then on Sunday we attend church and talk about the resurrection.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!