Saturday, November 26, 2011

Night and Day Quilt Block

    
     This 12" Night and Day block took me most of a day to make.  I am so glad it's done!  I started out with paper piecing and did 1/4 of the block that way.  I  ended up using templates for the remaining 3/4.  I found the free pattern on-line here: http://www.quilterscache.com/N/NightandDayBlock.html
     According to Dictionary.com, a Burletta is a musical drama containing rhymed lyrics and resembling comic opera or a comic play containing songs.  I believe the Bronco Bill show the kids wanted to go to is a cowboy movie, part of a very popular series of movies:  
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broncho_Billy_Anderson_filmography

Wednesday, May 3, 1916 (written Thursday) -
"As it was 5 minutes before twelve when I got in last night, I decided to leave all unnecessary duties until morning.  Howell and I took in the Burletta that the Key West Glee Club gave.  It would have been more appreciated, I think, had it not been quite so long and drawn out.  We sat with Stub and Fern and had a good time except we became mighty tired.  It lasted until after 11:00 and grew rather monotonous.

"I sewed all morning, began making my crepe dress.  Then in the afternoon, Mother and I went to town.  I didn't have the slightest intention of buying a hat when I went, but Mother wanted me to look at some.  The first thing, she showed me one that was a perfect match for my suit - it was also a very stylish hat and looked well on me so without much delay, I brought it home.  I wore it with my suit to the play and am really quite crazy about them both.  I think I'll like the change from the conventional blue."

Thursday, May 4, 1916 -
"I'm so sleepy; Mrs. Hile said I nearly went to sleep coming up stairs.  I certainly don't envy the spectators at Bronco Bill's show tonight.  The kids wanted to go - in fact, talked of nothing else - so Orvel, out of the kindness of his heart, told Mother to let them go, and he would go with them.  He hadn't intended to go at all.  He told me he was saving his quarters to go hear Billy Sunday.   

"Papa left for Wallace again this morning.  It has been a beautiful day and promises to continue so. . .

"Although Papa was very kind and let me sleep this morning, I am ready for bed now!"

You might enjoy reading my previous blog post:
http://starwoodquilter.blogspot.com/2011/11/alpine-cross-quilt-block.html

8 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful! Nice form too!
    ~ Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful block, I'm not looking forward to all those inset seams.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving your blog, wonderful idea! If you want to do a quilt with the day & night block, there's a Quilt in a Day book called Day & Night Quilt by Eleanor Burns. There isn't any paper piecing! I doubt that it can be done in a day, but you would get several blocks done! It even has patterns included that uses the scraps from the quilt pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous block! Love it! Looks difficult but yours looks perfect. I'm surprised paper piecing wasn't more helpful. I use paper piecing as my backup if I'm having a hard time. No matter what you did, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. gorgeous block. I haven't done this one yet but have read a lot of people have difficulty with it! thanks for sharing your grandmothers journal too. really enjoy reading it along with your blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YOU CAN BUY THE DAY N NIGHT TOOL AND BOOK AND ITS FAST AND EASY.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, Joyce, I made my quilt from the Eleanor Burns book and uses the
    ruler....would be great for those that don't paper piece. Mine came
    out great...wasn't hard to make...just sew strips together & cut.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic block! I've pinned it to my "Quilty Goodness" board on Pinterest (with proper credit, of course!). Feel free to follow me if you'd like: http://pinterest.com/lipglass/quilty-goodness/

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!