Friday, April 4, 2014

Lost and Found Quilt Block and Marie Bostwick's Biography

Lost and Found Quilt Block Pattern Information

Do you love to quilt AND love to read?  I invite you to join the free, online Quilters' Book Club.  Each month, we read a book, discuss it through comments on my blog posts, and then make a quilt block to represent that book.  I research several potential blocks to go with the book's themes, setting, main characters, and events.  And I find the patterns free on the internet, making it easy for everyone to access.  Each member can choose the block or blocks they'd like to make.

To join, become a follower of my blog so you won't miss any blog post.  To make it super convenient, you can also sign up for my posts to be delivered right to you via email.  It is never too late to join and begin reading and sewing along with us.     


Our book to read and discuss during April 2014 is A Thread of Truth by Marie Bostwick.  It's the second book in her Cobbled Court Quilts series.  Get the book from your local library or bookstore and join us!  It's also available on Kindle right here. 


Here's a fun note from our author, Marie:  "A while back, my publishing house asked me to update my biography.  I wrote two versions.  This is the one that DIDN'T make it onto the cover."

"Marie Bostwick was born and raised in the northwest, where, being an overweight and socially awkward child, she collected a whole closetful of imaginary friends that are with her to this day. She graduated from college in 1984 with a bachelors degree in Communications (because it was the only degree that didn't require a statistics course) and a double minor in self-loathing and procrastination. Marie married while she was young and extremely fertile, quickly giving birth to three sons, who are now grown up and don't call nearly as often as they should.

“Marie is the published author of a bunch of books. No kidding, a bunch. Like ten. She continues to be amazed by this. So does her high-school English teacher.

“When not writing, Marie spends way too much time on Facebook and window shopping for RV's on the internet. Marie loves to quilt. She really, really does. However, her enthusiasm for quilting outstrips her natural talent. This is at least partly because she has the attention span of a gnat and no math skills (see statistics course avoidance above). She is also pretty nearsighted which makes it hard to stitch a consistent quarter-inch seam. After sunset, it's darned near impossible.

“Marie likes to garden but is too scattered to give her garden the attention it deserves. The same can be said of her other hobbies -- piano, knitting, guitar, punchneedle embroidery, cooking, and kayaking. (Marie doesn't actually own a kayak but she wants one.) Marie has killed every single houseplant that has ever had the misfortune of coming into her possession. She hasn't balanced her checkbook since the late 80's and can never find her purse, glasses, or car keys.

“Fact is, the only thing Marie truly knows how to do well is write, so please buy this book, if only to keep her from becoming a burden to society."

You can read the other version of her biography here.

What do you enjoy doing besides quilting?  Inquiring minds want to know.   By commenting, you'll be entering this month's give-away of Marie Bostwick's newest book APART AT THE SEAMS, coming out the end of this month.  Three lucky people will each win a copy, courtesy of Kensington Publishing!  If you are reading this via email, you must click on the title of my blog post to be able to comment and read the comments of others.  The winner will be announced on May 1.

May Book Selection: These Is My Words: the Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine by Nancy Turner, Historical Fiction based on the life of the author's great-grandmother, set in Arizona Territory, 1881-1901
 

You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post Love Knot Quilt Block and Our Love Affair with Mother Nature.
 

13 comments:

  1. I like to knit, read, bake, cook, hike, bike, garden. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beside the little but of time I find to quilt, I really enjoy reading. But my favorite way to spend my time is with my husband of almost nine years. Our children are all grown, so we're rediscovering what we as individuals enjoy (and can still do). We love to go tent camping, hiking and enjoying the outdoors - none of which do we have "enough" time for with fulltime jobs. I also enjoy cooking and baking - but have to be careful as I gain weight way too easily. Quilting friends help me stay balanced in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I am alone, I love to quilt and whittle and read and pull weeds. I also love to pamper my garden and flower pots.Oh yes, and check in on my friend's blogs.
    My favorite group activities are choral singing, Scouting,and anything that involves kids and the outdoors and of course, family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy reading books by Marie Bostwick, Debbie Macomber, Robyn Carr, and lots of others. I also enjoy sewing and machine embroidery. I label all my quilts, and my quilting friends call me the label queen because I love to make elaborate embroidered labels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quilting, reading, gardening and traveling.....following my cousins on FB....no free time in my retirement life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Read and garden then preserving the bounty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reading is a passion second only to quilting. I enjoy Marie's talent with words! I wish I were as talented at writing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Besides, or in addition to, quilting I love to read and create whether it is food, flower arrangements or cards. I have read your May book selection and enjoyed it immensely as it taks place in areas very near my home. I love reading Marie's book and did enjoy her biography--thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this biography! Now I am even more excited to start reading Marie's books. :-)

    Oh, yeah, I almost forgot. Besides sewing, I live to read, cook, take pictures, garden, travel especially to visit family, help on the farm and cheer for K-State!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Besides quilting and reading, I love to collect vintage sewing machines and visit thrift and antique stores.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love to garden, being with my family, hike, camp, learn about history, and learning new things. All this keeps me pretty active.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved Marie Bostwick's unofficial biography!
    Apart from quilting and reading, I love to spend time with my awesome grandson, travel, garden (gently as I have a few health issues), mooch around antiques shops, walk on the beach. I love blogging, reporting on my life and my textile interests and seeing what fellow addicts have been doing all around the world. Even better is meeting them in real life when I have the opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love to read, journal, blog, cook, and travel. I also enjoy scrapbooking, riding our tandem bicycle with my husband in the summer, and to sleep late on the weekends. I celebrate life because I know it is short and we are not guaranteed tomorrow. I love Marie's satirical biography. Her sense of humor is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!