Monday, April 21, 2014

Crazy Chicken and Egg Fabric and Crazy Salad

Quilt Block Pattern Information

Here's a wonderful recipe to use up all those hard-boiled eggs from Easter.  And I think the fabric in this block goes perfectly with this recipe!

Crazy Salad
1.    Layer in a glass bowl:
       Torn lettuce
       Torn, raw spinach
       Frozen green peas
       Cooked and diced bacon or ham
       Hard-boiled eggs
2.    Mix together and spread on top:
       2 cups Miracle Whip, thinned with milk
3.    Grate cheese and sprinkle on top.
4.    Refrigerate over night and serve the next day.

My mother-in-law Geraldine Bova Phillips gave me this recipe.  You can add other layers, too, according to your taste and what’s in your refrigerator!
 
I attended a bride's luncheon, where this was prepared in several 9" x 13" dishes, to make it easy to serve the large group. 
 
What recipe do you make with all those hard-boiled eggs from Easter?  Inquiring minds want to know!   By commenting, you'll be entering this month's give-away of Marie Bostwick's newest book APART AT THE SEAMS, coming out the end of this month.  Three lucky people will each win a copy, courtesy of Kensington Publishing!  If you are reading this via email, you must click on the title of my blog post to be able to comment and read the comments of others.  The winner will be announced on May 1.
 
You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post Cross and Crown Quilt Block and a Song for Sunday.

8 comments:

  1. I don't have a lot of left over hard boiled eggs but egg salad and deviled eggs are at the top of the list. I did see on Pinterest somebody who didn't use the egg yolk but just the whites of the hard boiled eggs and then put salsa in the middle of the egg white. It made a pretty dish because of the red and white. Of course it drew my attention since I love salsa. Using that same concept you could make guacamole and put in the middle instead of the "deviled egg" part. I liked reading about using the mircale whip and thinning it with milk. It is similar to what I used to make for a low carb salad dressing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was little we always had heaps of hard boiled eggs after Christmas. Never found a use for them, so this recipe would have come in handy. My mother used to make a dish called Paskha for Easter, and that used a dozen hard boiled eggs BEFORE Easter. That was the wrong way round!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since I only boiled 2 eggs, and made deviled eggs with those 2 eggs, I don't have any leftovers. My kids grew out of dying eggs when they were little. They like Jello jiggler eggs better, and to hunt for empty plastic eggs. Neither would eat hard boiled eggs in any way (still won't).

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dil asked me to make deviled eggs. One granddaughter will eat the white! They taste really good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for that recipe, will be using it next time I have lots of leftover eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We just had egg salad sandwiches for dinner. That is our favorite the day after Easter. We like it, because of the different colored eggs in the salad. If I have any left I have to make deviled eggs for my son. He isn't here, so I made just a few to honor him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I had boiled eggs, they would go into a sandwich. We batik-dyed the eggs raw and then blew out the innards. The whites made an angel food cake and the yolks went into pancakes and french toast.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this salad! (I don't always put eggs in it, though.). Other layers I like to add are (finely chopped) onions and grated carrots.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!