Friday, February 15, 2013

My House Quilt - Church Block


This is a block from my House Block Bee Quilt.  I participated in an on-line bee with eleven other quilters.  We were each assigned a month by our queen bee.  Before the first of my assigned month, I mailed out fabrics to the others to be used to make a house block for me.  I purchased the blue fabric for the sky and the green fabric for the grass.  I sent each person a couple of owls and a couple of children to be included in their block.  Then I looked through my stash and included scraps to be used for houses, trees, etc.  Each quilter could also add their own fabric, if they wished.

This block was actually made by a very dear friend.  We signed up to be in this on-line bee together.  I think she does beautiful work.  This block is a combination of free-style piecing and machine applique.  She did not use a pattern.  Don't you think the fabric she used for the church's stained glass windows is absolutely perfect? 

After I received all of the blocks, I sashed each one in a cheerful yellow and quilted with straight lines, using a quilt as you go method.  I finished with a blue border and green binding.  This quilt now hangs in my classroom and brightens it considerably, making it an inviting place to read and learn.


You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post:

9 comments:

  1. Wow, that is beautiful! All the blocks look so unique, but go together so well, the finished quilt is lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I really like the cheerful yellow, green, and blue. It makes the quilt look so happy. And each quilter was so creative. I love how the quilt turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The one time I have made a friendship quilt, each member got a meter of the feature fabric and added their own. The results were a bit less coordinated than yours but I love that one too. (And I just learned one of that group will be coming to Japan for a visit soon)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really fun getting a block in the mail each month. In another swap I was in, we each just used our stash to make a block for someone else. It saved postage and was less expensive than purchasing fabric for everyone. Both on-line bees were fun to be in. I'm so excited for you that one of your friendship quilt group is coming to visit you!

      Delete
  4. hello I like enjoy your proyect where or how I get this patterns thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gloru, I'm sorry but there is no pattern. Each quilter just made up her own block. I'm glad you enjoy the quilt!

      Delete
    2. thanks I like much this proyect is beautiful

      Delete
  5. Love your house block bee - a great idea and a wonderful quilt resulted from it.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!