Sunday, April 6, 2014

Maltese Cross Quilt Block and a Song for Sunday

Maltese Cross Quilt Block Pattern Information
 
And Can It Be That I Should Gain?
 
And can it be that I should gain
An interest in the Savior's blood?
Died He for me, who caused His pain?
For me, who Him to death pursued?
Amazing love!  How can it be
That Thou, my God, shouldst die for me?
 
Chorus:
Amazing love!  How can it be
That Thou, my God, shouldst die for me?
 
He left his Father's throne above,
So free, so infinite His grace!
Emptied Himself of all but love,
And bled for Adam's helpless race!
'Tis mercy all, immense and free,
For, O my God, it found out out me.
 
No condemnation now I dread:
Jesus, and all in Him, is mine!
Alive in Him, my living Head,
And clothed in righteousness divine,
Bold I approach the eternal throne
And claim the crown, through Christ my own.
 
Long my imprisoned spirit lay
Fast bound in sin and nature's night.
Thine eye diffused a quick'ning ray:
I woke - the dungeon flamed with light!
My chains fell off, my heart was free,
I rose, went forth, and followed Thee.
 
Words by Charles Wesley (1707-1788), 1738
 
What is your favorite hymn?  Inquiring minds want to know!  By commenting, you'll be entering this month's give-away of Marie Bostwick's newest book APART AT THE SEAMS, coming out the end of this month.  Three lucky people will each win a copy, courtesy of Kensington Publishing!  If you are reading this via email, you must click on the title of my blog post to be able to comment and read the comments of others.  The winner will be announced on May 1.
 
You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post A Grocery Cart Cover and Curtains for My Grandson!   

17 comments:

  1. There are so many hymns that it is hard to say which is my favorite. Holy Holy Holy has to be up in the top three. I love singing it and hearing the organ and choir swell with each word. :) I am unfamiliar with the hymn that you posted. I might have to try and find a recording of it to hear the music that goes with the excellent words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops. Forgot to say that I love that block. I might have to try making it some time. It is aptly named for it does indeed remind me of the Maltese Cross.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe Blessed Assurance or Jerusalem. Love your block and your fabrics a wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How Great Thou Art...love, love, love that old hymn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two of my favorites are On Eagles Wings and Amazing Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the old hymns best and five of the top ones have already been mentioned. (Looks like I am in good company).I also like ones with great choral parts rather than unison singing. Maybe to those above I might add Morning has Broken, Our God, Our Help in Ages Past, Abide with Me, and Here I Am, Lord.(probably the only relatively new one).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have several favorite hymns, but I will say How Great Thou Art is the first one that came to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "It is Well With My Soul" and "I'll Fly Away" are two of my favorites. Among many, I love how music can speak into our very souls.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Joyful, Joyful We Adore Thee" and "Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring". There are so many good ones!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like a lot of modern "hymns" quite a bit. For older ones Joyful, Joyful we Adore Thee is a favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This time of year we (usually) get to sing one of my favorites, "Tell Me the Stories of Jesus,"

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just an FYI - I found one of your posts to be among a zillion others at quiltpatternspro.com and your post is http://www.quiltpatternspro.com/2014/04/starwood-quilter-cotton-boll-quilt-block-kleenex-and-tea-time-comfort/ Apparently there is a content scraper stealing and posting whole blog posts, including pictures, and patterns, and posting them, without permission and without links back to the original poster or pattern designer. If you are interested in checking it out further, Megan, The Bitchy Stitcher, has a post on it http://thebitchystitcher.blogspot.com/2014/04/quilt-writing.html#disqus_thread

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Old Rugged Cross. My father and I would sing it together all the time. It brings special memories of him each time I hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the hymn I Know My Redeemer Lives. I love this block

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!