Friday, January 10, 2014

Cups and Saucers Quilt Block and Call the Midwife

Cups and Saucers Quilt Block

My sisters and I get together once a month for lunch.  We have a couple of hours together after I finish teaching in the morning until one of my sisters leaves to pick up her daughter after school.  We realized that this month, we could actually spend a whole day together since with Christmas vacation, school was not a concern.  We brainstormed lots of possibilities for our day together and finally decided to watch Season 1 of Call the Midwife - 6 hours worth! 


Have you seen it?  It's a wonderful British history drama based on the memoirs of Jennifer Lee.  The series is set in the East End of London in 1957.  In Season 1, Jenny begins to live and work at Nonnatus House with nuns and other nurses who serve as midwives to the impoverished community.  The midwives each have very distinct personalities and are all very loveable.  You're really able to see and feel what Jenny goes through as she adjusts to this life, which is very different from what she's used to.  The actresses and actors are marvelous.  We love this series!    

Each of us contributed food for our day.  We started the morning with a breakfast of English Toad in the Hole and Clementine oranges with hot tea (of course)! 


English Toad in the Hole
1 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 cup milk
1 pound sausages (I used Vermont Maple Breakfast Sausage Links)
1 tablespoon oil
1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2.  In medium bowl, beat together flour, salt, egg, and milk and let
stand while you fry the sausages.
3.  In a skillet, fry sausages in oil for 5 minutes on each side.       
4.  Pour batter over sausages.
5.  Place skillet in oven and bake for 30 minutes.
 
Make sure your skillet is the kind that can go in the oven!
After frying, I cut each sausage into thirds to make them bite-sized.
We had quiche and salad for lunch (along with more tea).  Then we paused for teatime in the early evening.  

We had some fun English foods for our tea.  (I forgot to take a photo of the delicious scones with clotted cream and lemon curd.)



We need to watch Season 2 (8 hours worth!) before March 30, when Season 3 begins!
 
 
You might also enjoy my previous blog post Eight Hands Around Quilt Block.

17 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fantastic day, so very British. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Call the Midwife is a fantastic series! One of my favorites. It sounds like you had a delightful day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spring Peach Oolong tea sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanne, I really like the teas from Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf!

      Delete
  4. What fun to be able to share a day like that with your sisters!
    I have seen the first 2 seasons, and can't wait for Season 3.
    Don't you just love Chummy?

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you click the title of the block right below the picture, it will take you to another one of my posts. Click on the link there to take you to the free block at the Quilterscache web site.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having grown up without TV I have never watched a series. It would have to be pretty engaging to keep my attention for that long. Of course the snacks might lure me....

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a very fun day to spend with sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I, too, am a huge fan of Call the Midwife. Even my husband sits and watches with me as it's so engaging and interesting. We're trying to patiently wait for Series 3 to start, but it's difficult. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haven't seen the series. We do watch Downton Abbey. All I know about Washington state is it is supposed to be rainy

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fun! My mother used to make Toad in the Hole with leftover roast beef. One of her British meals that I liked. I haven't seen Call the Midwife but I'll look for it as I'm sure I would like it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Susan, for sharing this. I really enjoyed hearing how the three beautiful George sisters spent your special time together. The series sounds fascinating and all the food sounds and looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, I absolutely love your blue tea ware! That cow creamer is adorable. I have a red transferware one. The quilt is lovely! That sounds like a wonderful series to watch and it sounds like you and your sisters spent a splendid day together. All the food sounds fabulous too. Thank you so much for linking up with me at my HOME and have a beautiful day.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  13. I got real, Scottish shortbread after Christmas, as a gift. I'm eating it slowly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful time...I love your tea set. Thanks for sharing on the blog hop!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!