Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Stitcher's Square Quilt Block and the Serenity of Working with One's Hands

Stitcher's Square Quilt Block Pattern Information

Do you love to quilt AND love to read?  I invite you to join the free, online Quilters' Book Club.  Each month, we read a book, discuss it through comments on my blog posts, and then make a quilt block to represent that book.  I research several potential blocks to go with the book's themes, setting, main characters, and events.  And I find the patterns free on the internet, making it easy for everyone to access.  Each member can choose the block or blocks they'd like to make.

To join, become a follower of my blog so you won't miss any blog post.  To make it super convenient, you can also sign up for my posts to be delivered right to you via email.    


Our book to read and discuss during April 2014 is A Thread of Truth by Marie Bostwick.  It's the second book of her Cobbled Court Quilts series.


An avid quilter, Marie Bostwick has been known to turn to quilting when working through tough life issues --- not unlike the women in A THREAD OF TRUTH. What is it about working with one’s hands that cultivates a sense of serenity? Can you recall a time when quilting, knitting, or some other handiwork helped you through a tough time?  By commenting, you'll be entering this month's give-away of Marie Bostwick's newest book APART AT THE SEAMS, just out!  Three lucky people will each win a copy, courtesy of Kensington Publishing!  If you are reading this via email, you must click on the title of my blog post to be able to comment and read the comments of others.  The winner will be announced on May 1.

Looking ahead to the May Book Selection: These Is My Words: the Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine by Nancy Turner, Historical Fiction based on the life of the author's great-grandmother, set in Arizona Territory, 1881-1901
 

You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post Hearth and Home Quilt Block and the Main Character in A Thread of Truth.

7 comments:

  1. There have been several times in my life when knitting calmed difficult days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for sharing each of these beautiful quilt blocks; They are all inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When things are not going well, one begins to feel very out-of-control. There are often so many things we cannot control that stitching becomes a comfort. It is a way to see progress. It is something in one's day that is not un-done before bed time. It is something to give to a friend or family member that has the love sewed in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just having a few minutes in my day where I make progress on a creative task makes me feel productive in an positive way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hand stitching is about the most soothing thing to do. It provides the same kind of calm that gardening or walking in the woods does.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When you stitch, you are creating something. This is great when life gives you lemons. You may have to deal with something bad, but, you can still create something good at the same time. Like healing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love to be able think things out. Take my mind off the struggles.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!