Monday, January 27, 2014

More Burp Cloths Made from Cloth Diapers


I've been busy making some burp cloths.  I made some for a friend's grandson and some for myself!  I've discovered that, as a grandma, I need to have some of my own baby equipment and supplies.  


I bought a 10 pack of Gerber prefold premium 6-ply cloth diapers at Target for $16.  Then I washed and dried them four times, using hot water and a hot dryer, so they would shrink as much as possible. 
 
I've already made several for my son and daughter-in-law to use with our grandson.  Some of these have the fabric down the middle, but we discovered these are not the best.  To cover the most absorbent part of the diaper with fabric results in a less functional burp cloth. 
 
Others have fabric around all four sides, but we feel these are not really the best either.  Edges are so useful for wiping up all sorts of things, and the diaper fabric is far more absorbent than the decorative fabric. 
 
In the end, we like the burp cloths best that have the fabric at the top only.  These are pretty, fun, absorbent, and useful - everything we want in a burp cloth!
 
 



It's such fun being a grandma!
 
You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post Galaxy Star Quilt Block and a Song for Sunday.

6 comments:

  1. Love your ideas on burp clothes ...very informative..have several friends with new grandbabies might just have to make for gifts.
    And agree it is great being a Grandma...

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my kids were babies, diapers were made from a loop of Japanese tenugui fabric. The tenugui is really a non-terrycloth towel. I'll bet some of those printed ones would make great burp cloths.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this idea! I recently found some cloth diapers at .50 cents each :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What sweet little burp cloths.....I think you are having way too much fun being a grandma!! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  5. I may have to use your idea. My aunt has asked me to make a baby quilt for her first great granddaughter. I think I'll buy extra fabric and use it to decorate burp rags, too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ingenious idea!!! I'm going to try this! Great baby shower gift idea too!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!