Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Country Farm Quilt Block and the Main Characters in The Healing Quilt by Lauraine Snelling

Country Farm Quilt Block

Do you love to quilt AND love to read?  I invite you to join the free, online Quilters' Book Club.  Each month, we read a book, discuss it through comments on my blog posts, and then make a quilt block to represent that book.  I research several potential blocks to go with the book's themes, setting, main characters, and events.  And I find the patterns free on the internet, making it easy for everyone to access.  Each member can choose the block or blocks they'd like to make.

To join, all you need to do is become a follower of my blog so you won't miss any blog post.  To make it convenient, you can also sign up for my posts to be delivered right to you via email.  It is never too late to join and begin reading and sewing along with us.  

I have chosen to make my quilt blocks out of only two fabrics, Kona Snow and Kona Rich Red.  And I have a name for my quilt.  It will be called my "Curl Up with a Good Book Quilt."  But, please feel free to choose whatever fabrics you'd like to use for your quilt, especially fabrics from your stash.  We quilters are such creative people.  I can't wait to see what we all create!

If you check out the book each month from your local library and use fabric from your stash, there will be no cost at all to you!        

Our book to read and discuss during January 2014 is The Healing Quilt by Lauraine Snelling.  Get the book from your local library or bookstore and join us!  It's also available from Amazon on Kindle by clicking here.

If you'd like to make a quilt block to represent the main characters in the book, click on these free block patterns to represent two of the women, Kit Cooper and her Aunt Teza:
 
Kit Cooper - who struggles with anger and grief over the death of her daughter:
 

 
Mother's Dream Quilt Block
 
Aunt Teza - who trusts God but still fears:  



 
Practical Orchard Quilt Block
 
We'll look at the other two main characters, Beth Donnelly and Elaine Giovanni, next time!
 
Did you/do you have an aunt who was a great influence on your life?  In what ways did she influence you?  Inquiring minds want to know!  Answer in the comment section below.  By commenting, you'll be entered to win a hardcover copy of Prayers for Sale by Sandra Dallas!  The more you comment, the greater your chances of winning!  If you are reading this via email, you must click on the title of my blog post to be able to comment and read the comments of others. 
 
You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post January Redwork Snowman, Tea Time, Banana Bread, and a Cow Creamer!
 

6 comments:

  1. I did have a great aunt who was in and out of our family ... and always shared my bed when she came. She was a school teacher in Toledo Ohio and always had a dream of travelling to see the world. At retirement age, she chose to work more years in order to have the money to fulfill her dream. As it turned out, she had a stroke and spent her remaining years in a nursing home.
    When I began teaching, the starting pay was only 3,000 dollars a year and I was paying room and board at my family home, but remembering my aunt's dream, I bought a 400 dollar round trip by ship to Europe and a youth hostel pass. I spent the summer travelling , first to Grenock, Scotland, where I bought a used bike, and traveled all around the British Isles, down through Europe and back to Copenhagen, where I caught the ship back to the states. I visited places and saw great art I had only seen in books and when I returned I took my pictures and shared them with my aunt. I was broke but able to return happily to my teaching job. All along the way I saw old agers who were too tired to even get off the bus to look at the sights. I'm glad I didn't wait because now that I have time for travel, I can barely afford to visit my kids. My advice... seize the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only had one aunt growing up, and although I loved her, she was not really my inspiration. The little old lady who lived a few doors up was my surrogate granny and occasionally cared for me after school. She was tiny, with a head of snowy hair. Her house was tiny too, and she had a beautiful antique Victorian dresser made of mahogany in her front room just to the left of the front door, on which stood a number of photographs surrounding a small timber mantel clock. I would sit for hours in front of the dresser, looking through the drawers which were full of mementoes of a young woman’s life in Society in the early 1900s. There were several tiny pencils attached with faded ribbon to little writing pads, which Toddy told me, were “dance cards”. Besides these there was a beautiful little beaded evening purse and a number of theatre programmes and tickets for social events from the time of the first war onwards.
    I adored Toddy and loved spending time with her. I am blessed to have the little mantel clock which stood on her dresser to remember her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had two aunts that were a part of my life growing up. I spent time at their homes with my cousins in the summer. I'm grateful for their care in interest in my life. I also had a great aunt who was like a grandmother. I remember that all her gifts to me were wrapped in tissue paper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I lived with one aunt while I student taught. She also taught and was a great help to me. Another aunt helps me now; she crochets and is encouraging me to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My aunt was also my Mom, my dad's sister raised me. I learned a lot from her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Although I had four aunts only one stands out as influencing me somewhat. I think it was because she seemed to be the "rebel" of the family and it was always interesting to be around her. I enjoyed hearing her stories about life with my Mom as a girl. She was always able to laugh at herself; a trait not many in the family possessed.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!