Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Ladies' Aid Quilt Block and Making the Quilt Together in The Healing Quilt by Lauraine Snelling


Do you love to quilt AND love to read?  I invite you to join the free, online Quilters' Book Club.  Each month, we read a book, discuss it through comments on my blog posts, and then make a quilt block to represent that book.  I research several potential blocks to go with the book's themes, setting, main characters, and events.  And I find the patterns free on the internet, making it easy for everyone to access.  Each member can choose the block or blocks they'd like to make.

To join, all you need to do is become a follower of my blog so you won't miss any blog post.  To make it convenient, you can also sign up for my posts to be delivered right to you via email.  It is never too late to join and begin reading and sewing along with us.  


I have chosen to make my quilt blocks out of only two fabrics, Kona Snow and Kona Rich Red.  And I have a name for my quilt.  It will be called my "Curl Up with a Good Book Quilt."  But, please feel free to choose whatever fabrics you'd like to use for your quilt, especially fabrics from your stash.  We quilters are such creative people.  I can't wait to see what we all create!

If you check out the book each month from your local library and use fabric from your stash, there will be no cost at all to you!        

Our book to read and discuss during January 2014 is The Healing Quilt by Lauraine Snelling.  Get the book from your local library or bookstore and join us!  It's also available from Amazon on Kindle by clicking here.

If you'd like to make a quilt block to represent the main event of the book - making the quilt together - click on these patterns for ideas:

Event:  Making the Quilt Together


Ladies' Aid Quilt Block shown above
 
Notions Quilt Blocks (includes a sewing machine, pin cushion, spool, buttons)
 
 
 
Are you a member of a group that gets together to quilt?  What kinds of projects do you work on?  Inquiring minds want to know!  Answer in the comment section below.  By commenting, you'll be entered to win a hardcover copy of Prayers for Sale by Sandra Dallas!  The more you comment, the greater your chances of winning!  If you are reading this via email, you must click on the title of my blog post to be able to comment and read the comments of others.
 
Plan now to join us in February to read Jennifer Chiaverini's Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker, set in Washington, D.C. during the Civil War years.
 
You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post Tall Ships Quilt Block and Cotton Boll Quilt Block Up Close and Personal.



 

11 comments:

  1. I belong to a quilt group (we refuse to call it a guild--too formal sounding! LOL) We meet twice a month: one day for a meeting (with show and tell) and one day where we quilt from 10 to 3. On the quilt days, we will hand quilt on a member's quilt, tie or big stitch our 'comfort' quilts. These we give to families who have been burned out, families in need for any reason, and seniors at Christmas. I live in a small town, so our group is small, but we are all very close and go on a retreat together once a year. It is great fun and very inspirational to see what all these talented women make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm Sam. A Quilty book club. What a great idea! I'll give it a whirl. I'm in the local guild here in Eureka, Ca and am also in a yahoo group, Quilters Who Care. :-) Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We would absolutely love to have you join us! Welcome!

      Delete
  3. I attend a once-a-month quilt group at my Mom's church. It's called Hearts and Hands. We make quilts to give to people in need.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots going on here this week: last night was our monthly dinner and guild meeting. Our speaker was the curator of our Historical Society museum: she spoke about women and quilts here in the valley a hundred years ago. We showed some of the vintage quilts from the museum's collection. I spent the day today hostessing a Comfort Quilts workshop -- seven others attended and we finished up four quilts for the local battered women's shelter. We also support several other organizations, such as Meals on Wheels and Mom and Dad Project. Friday is the regular get-together day for my small friendship group, Stitchy Fingers. These ladies are the foundation of my life here in the mountains!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My guild is active in the NC mountains, meeting monthly and sponsoring classes, challenges, and supporting local agencies. I'm a new member, recently retired-and am excited to find like-minded people to sew with and learn from.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A group of friends have just begun a new 'Quilts of Valor" group in my shop, Quilters' Quarters. We've chosen a nine-block pattern with reds, whites and blues. Our first meeting resulted in each of us taking home fabric from my shop to make five blocks each. We'll get together in a few weeks to put the blocks together and send it to the Quilts of Valor state coordinator for backing and long-arm quilting (all donated) and then back to us for the binding and presentation case (pillow case that matches.) There is a website others can check to consider forming a group in your area: www.qovf.org. The quilts are presented to veterans who have served our country <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I meet monthly with a group of dear friends and sisters in Christ, mostly from our church. We are the Stitching Sisters. About 11 if us, we collect dues, have refreshments, prayer time, and show and tell. Some meetings are fellowship and hand work gatherings. Others are sit and sew project meetings when we arrange blocks and assemble prayer quilts or baby quilts for members of our church or others in need. One of us plans the project and chooses the block design, size, and colors. I send out email communications to give instructions. We gather once a month with our block(s) prepared at home and get the quilts together- usually with 3 seeing machines on our host's dining table. One of our goals is teaching quilting basics to newbies so we often will have a demonstration by one of the experienced members. Sometimes we do the cutting and sewing of the blocks at our meeting to help the novice quilters gain skill under supervision. We have fun blessing others!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I belong to a small guild that meets monthly. We do some outreach projects, have finished some group quilts, and try to have a speaker once a year. Our meetings consist of a short meeting, work time, and always dessert ;-)
    I've enjoyed reading everyone else's comments; some good ideas to take back to my group!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a member of several groups that get together to sew. Quilts of Valor (a couple of times a month), our regular Thursday sew-ins, bi-monthly sew-ins with one of my guilds, and, I just started teaching beginning quilting at my church last Saturday. We are hoping to continue meeting after the initial quilt is done. Now you know why I'm always behind in my reading and my blog reading.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, it is good to go to Quilt meetings and share your interest with others. We meet once a month to sew at the Fire Station. I am currently working on a Stack N Whack quilt, and a baby quilt for a co-worker.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!