Thursday, January 16, 2014

Contrary Wife Quilt Block and the Main Characters in The Healing Quilt, Part II



Do you love to quilt AND love to read?  I invite you to join the free, online Quilters' Book Club.  Each month, we read a book, discuss it through comments on my blog posts, and then make a quilt block to represent that book.  I research several potential blocks to go with the book's themes, setting, main characters, and events.  And I find the patterns free on the internet, making it easy for everyone to access.  Each member can choose the block or blocks they'd like to make.

To join, all you need to do is become a follower of my blog so you won't miss any blog post.  To make it convenient, you can also sign up for my posts to be delivered right to you via email.  It is never too late to join and begin reading and sewing along with us.  

I have chosen to make my quilt blocks out of only two fabrics, Kona Snow and Kona Rich Red.  And I have a name for my quilt.  It will be called my "Curl Up with a Good Book Quilt."  But, please feel free to choose whatever fabrics you'd like to use for your quilt, especially fabrics from your stash.  We quilters are such creative people.  I can't wait to see what we all create!

If you check out the book each month from your local library and use fabric from your stash, there will be no cost at all to you!        

Our book to read and discuss during January 2014 is The Healing Quilt by Lauraine Snelling.  Get the book from your local library or bookstore and join us!  It's also available from Amazon on Kindle by clicking here.

If you'd like to make a quilt block to represent the main characters in the book, click on these free block patterns to represent two of the women, Beth Donnelly and Elaine Giovanni.  (If you'd rather make a quilt block to represent Kit Cooper or Aunt Teza, check out these patterns.

Beth Donnelly: 



Elaine Giovanni: 

 
Which of the four characters did you most identify with - Kit Cooper, Aunt Teza, Beth Donnelly, or Elaine Giovanni?  Inquiring minds want to know!  Answer in the comment section below.  By commenting, you'll be entered to win a hardcover copy of Prayers for Sale by Sandra Dallas!  The more you comment, the greater your chances of winning!  If you are reading this via email, you must click on the title of my blog post to be able to comment and read the comments of others.
 
Plan now to join us in February to read Jennifer Chiaverini's Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker, set in Washington, D.C. during the Civil War years.
 
You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post Country Farm Quilt Block and Main Characters in The Healing Quilt.
 

4 comments:

  1. I can see bits and pieces of myself in all these women. I love growing things, I am not very bold about making friends in new settings, I am happiest when things are organized, even if I have to do it myself, and often my husband drives me nuts being off doing who-knows-what or when he will return. I also love to do handwork. I even have a dog (or does the dog have me?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I identify most with Kit and Aunt Tessa. We are now empty nesters and I love to garden. Although I haven't lost a child. My father died unexpectedly, so I've dealt with that grief.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I identify mostly with Kit. While I haven't lost a child, my husband died suddenly of a heart attack at 56 yrs. old. I was really angry with God for a while. Also, before he died, my husband was often gone for work and I was often angry with him for being away having "fun" while I was dealing with 2 small children, so I know how Kit was feeling sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually I'm thinking it's Elaine. I like to "fix" things that don't seem right. Having a plan and getting organized is right up my alley. Elaine also enjoyed handwork as do I. While she may come across as aloof I think she provides support for things that matter.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!