|Kitchen Woodbox Quilt Block|
I had navy beans in my pantry and ham (including a good bone) in the freezer, left from Christmas dinner. It was the perfect time to make Hearty Ham 'n Bean Soup!
Hearty Ham ‘n Bean Soup
2 cups (16 ounce package) dry navy beans
6 cups water
2 pound ham shank
2 tablespoons dried minced onion
¼ teaspoon dry mustard
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup ham, cut into bite-sized chunks (optional)
1. Soak beans overnight in water.
2. In large (6 quart) soup pot, combine beans in water with remaining ingredients. Simmer, covered, for 3 to 3-1/2 hours until beans are tender.
3. Remove peppercorns and ham bone; cut ham from bone into chunks and return to soup.
4. If a smoother soup is desired, beans can be mashed with a potato masher or soup can be processed at medium speed in a blender.
5. Add extra ham, if you want a meatier soup.
*I recently bought an immersion blender and used that to get a smoother soup. It was so much easier to use than putting hot soup in a blender!
"There are many delights in winter, and eating in front of the fire is one of them." Gladys Taber