Saturday, January 25, 2014

Star of Hope Quilt Block for My Curl Up with a Good Book Quilt

 
I made this Star of Hope quilt block for my Curl Up with a Good Book Quilt.  This block represents The Healing Quilt by Lauraine Snelling, which was the January book selection for the Quilters' Book Club.  Hope plays a large part in this book, which also deals with friendship, forgiveness, and loss.  If you'd like to make this block, here's a free quilt pattern for a 15" block.  
 
In the free, online Quilters' Book Club, we read and discuss a quilt novel each month and then make a quilt block to represent each book.  I have long admired red and white quilts so decided to keep it simple and go with just two fabrics, Kona Snow and Kona Rich Red, for my blocks. 
 
If you love to quilt and read, please join us!  It's easy to jump in anytime.  Check out the Quilters' Book Club Schedule right here.
 
Have you chosen a quilt block yet to represent The Healing Quilt?  Inquiring minds want to know!  Answer in the comment section below.  By commenting, you'll be entered to win a hardcover copy of Prayers for Sale by Sandra Dallas!  The more you comment, the greater your chances of winning!  If you are reading this via email, you must click on the title of my blog post to be able to comment and read the comments of others.

Plan now to join us in February to read Jennifer Chiaverini's Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker, set in Washington, D.C. during the Civil War years. 
 

You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post Mother's Dream Quilt Block and Author Lauraine Snelling.
 

6 comments:

  1. I'm thinking of a sunburst block to represent the quilt everyone was making. I've looked around my block books but have not seen one I like as yet. There was no picture in the story but colors and diamonds were indicated... burgundy and mauve with blue and cream ...(might go with my pickle fabric) I am thinking of drafting a lone star with compass points,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie,
    Maybe you could use the New York Beauty block to represent sunshine? Here is a link to a pattern-see what you think. I think it's a great block, but not easy to piece!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Mother's Dream; now to decide what FQ to use. I must use stash.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have finished reading The Healing Quilt and loved it, I've since passed it along to my Mum even though she doesn't quilt, as it was a beautiful book. I saw the block you have put in this post and I see it is called 'Star of Hope', the thing is I completed a block today also called the 'Star of Hope' but it looks nothing like your block. (Mine came from Mishkasplaygound). I've only been quilting for just over a year and I'm presuming that lots of different blocks can have the same name? I will pop a photo of mine up soon so you can see. By the way loving this book/quilt club, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I finished reading The Healing Quilt. Loved it, would be wonderful to have friends like that. But when you move a lot those are hard to come by. Have not done any blocks for the book club. trying finish things for other quilts and gifts to get them sent out. Love the book club so far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought the Writers Block quilt block looked very interesting. Does anyone have a link to the pattern? I think it would be a nice display piece; one block framed rather than a whole quilt.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!