Thursday, August 9, 2012

Three by Three Quilt Block

    
     I found the pattern for this 6" Three by Three quilt block in 5,500 Quilt Block Designs by Maggie Malone.  It is also known by Roman Squares and Fence Posts.  It was simple to make, and I am ready for simple!
     In these diary entries, Hattie is busy crocheting and tatting gifts for Christmas.  Ted, Ruth, and George are her siblings , and Lester is her brother-in-law.  Rag is a horse! 
 
Thursday, December 7, 1916 -
"Oh dear, it seems as though it's as hard to go to bed as it is to get up.  It seems like ages since this morning when I got up and helped with breakfast so that Lester could get off early.

"I have crocheted and tatted almost constantly except for the few hasty minutes we took to do housework.  I crochet until my left hand aches, then tat until my right hand aches.

"Papa went to Quenemo on Rag today, so there were not many of us here.  Ted just returned from German Club, and Ruth and I sat up and waited for him to bring us some mail, but he didn't even go to the post office."

Friday, December 8, 1916 -
"It seemed rather queer but pleasant today to have only a family of three.  Everyone was gone but Mother, Ruth, and I, and we had lunch at 10:30.  We hadn't eaten much breakfast and had been cleaning so were hungry.  This made a nice, long afternoon to spend with our sewing and crocheting, etc."

Saturday, December 9, 1916 -
"I'm going to bed early tonight.  I am too sleepy to crochet.  I didn't get up until almost eight, and breakfast and the dishes were all done.

"Ruth and I went to town this afternoon and did a little shopping - towels, handkerchiefs, etc. for Christmas.  We also got the mail that George 'forgot' this morning.  Papa said we could go to Emporia, so I hope the weather stays pleasant and we can get off Monday."   

You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post:
http://www.starwoodquilter.blogspot.com/2012/08/lost-and-found-quilt-block.html

4 comments:

  1. Even while growing up, Christmas gifts were hand made and we had to begin early to finish all in time.
    You are really a pro at picking those blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, this is a pretty block - bright, cheerful fabrics. It would make into a lovely child's quilt, using white sashing between the rail blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOH, I like this arrangement a whole lot more than the basket weave in the book. Very nice, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your fabric choices for this block.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!