Monday, July 30, 2012

Card Trick Quilt Block

    
     I found the pattern for this Card Trick quilt block free on-line at Quilter's Cache: http://www.quilterscache.com/C/CardTrickBlock.html but reduced the 12" block to 6".
     In these diary entries, Frank is Hattie's beau, and Fannie and Betty are his sisters.  Ruth, Howard, Mary, Ted, and George are Hattie's siblings.  Rook is a card game.   

Friday, December 1, 1916 -
"We just got in; it's after 11 o'clock.  We expected to be home early, but as usual we had such a good time that it was ten before I realized it.  It was supposed to begin at 4:30, but it was nearly 5:00 when Frank arrived, and some of the others came after we got there so things were delayed a little.  Fannie and Betty always entertain so delightfully.  We did fancy work until the eats were served - they sure were good.  Tomato bouillon with crackers and a pickle for first course; then chicken salad, escalloped potatoes, creamed peas, bread and butter, cranberry jelly; and pumpkin pie with whipped cream and coffee for dessert.  After we had eaten, we played progressive Rook - had lots of fun. 

"It is a lovely night out, moonlight and just cold enough!  And these days are ideal.  It doesn't seem like December."

Saturday, December 2, 1916 -
"This whole family seems to be dead for sleep tonight.  I'd feel better in bed no doubt, but I had a 'doze' this afternoon and am waiting, thinking perhaps Ruth and Howard will bring me a letter.  They just now came in.  I hear Ruth say, 'Not a sign of a letter.'  So I guess I'll go to bed.  I'm tired.  It has been another glorious day.  I have been crocheting baskets tonight.  I lost one that I made over there last night.  It must have been my 'losing day.'  I also borrowed Mary's veil and brought her back someone else's."

Sunday, December 3, 1916 -
"Bein' as how it was almost 12 o'clock and Ruth was slumbering peacefully upon this book, I delayed writing a little.

"The preacher called up this afternoon about 5 o'clock and wanted Frank to take a carload to Zion.  It was a beautiful night although a little foggy going over there.  But they had a real good meeting - mostly Olivet people, though.  The church was small and quite crowded, and I had to squeeze into a seat by the stove.  One little boy who sat next to me wanted to go forward but was rather hesitant.  Although I talked to him, I didn't urge him too much.  I want him to take his own time.  I couldn't decide for him. 

"We had quite a race with Selig and Lou Rowland coming home, but we led the nine cars back to town.

"We all went to church this morning except Ted and George.  They are becoming entirely too interested in trapping."    

You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post:
http://www.starwoodquilter.blogspot.com/2012/07/happy-home-quilt-block.html

6 comments:

  1. Just found your blog, loved reading the diary entry. Will be back to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our girl is turning into quite a social butterfly. There is a similar Japanese quilt block which is very popular.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love family!!! What a wise young women Hattie was!! Again, another very lovely block!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good use of the fabrics on this one, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi, can you please share the measurement for 6 inch block?
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://www.generations-quilt-patterns.com/card-trick-quilt-block.html

      Insiya, here's a link that includes cutting measurements for a 6" block.

      Delete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!