Monday, January 13, 2014

Windblown Square Quilt Block and the January Wind


Click for a link to the Windblown Square quilt block pattern.

"The January wind has a hundred voices.  It can scream, it can bellow, it can whisper, it can sing a lullaby.  It can roar through the leafless maples and shout down the mountainside, and it can murmur through the white pines below the ledges where the lichens make strange hieroglyphics.  It can whistle down a chimney and set a hearth fire dancing.  In the cold of the lonely night, it can rattle the sash and stay there, muttering of ice and snow banks and deep-frozen ponds."  Hal Borland

 
Winter-Time
Late lies the wintry sun a-bed,
A frosty, fiery sleepy-head;
Blinks but an hour or two; and then,
A blood-red orange, sets again.

Before the stars have left in the sky,
At morning in the dark I rise;
And shivering in my nakedness,
By the cold candle, bathe and dress.

Close by the jolly fire I sit
To warm my frozen bones a bit,
Or with a reindeer-sled, explore
The colder countries round the door.

When to go out, my nurse doth wrap
Me in my comforter and cap;
The cold wind burns my face, and blows
Its frosty pepper up my nose.

Black are my steps on silver sod;
Thick blows my frosty breath abroad;
And tree and house, and hill and lake,
Are frosted like a wedding-cake.

Robert Louis Stevenson


Has the January wind been blowing at your house like it's been doing at mine? 

You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post Streak of Lightning Quilt Block and a Song for Sunday.

5 comments:

  1. Been howling here, but brought in warmer temperatures...should be headed your way :) Love the use of HSTs in the block!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is actually windy here today, and hot, hot, hot. Usually our windiest month is August, and into early September sometimes. Love the block. Thanks for taking the time to put these together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I shouldn't complain because I know it is a lot colder in many other places, but it has been very gusty here. When I swept today, I just did the whole block because all those leaves were headed for my house eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It cold, sunny and windy in West Texas. I would rather be home under my favorite flannel quilt with my little Punkin chihuahua in my lap reading than working with a heater blowing at my feet.

    I really like the use of the half square triangles in your block. Thank you for sharing it.

    Oh, I love the poems too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought the house was going to blow away a few times yesterday. It was LOUD!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!