Tuesday, November 8, 2011

End of Day Quilt Block


     This little 6" End of Day quilt block was fun and easy to make.  I found the pattern in The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt by Laurie Aaron Hird.
     In these diary entries, Hattie is on a date with Howell Lusk.  Ted is Hattie's 14-year-old brother, and Orv is one of the hired men.  Ruth is Hattie's 23-year-old sister, and Anna is her 12-year-old sister.  Mrs. Hile is a neighbor who lives with them and helps with the housework.
     I have included Aunt Cleo's recipe for White Bread.  Aunt Cleo later married Hattie's brother George, who is 12 (Anna's twin) at the time of this diary.   

Friday, April 14, 1916 -
"Just a little scratch as it is 11:30, and I'm tired.  Howell and I have been to a musicale at the church.  Miss Mildred Christie and a male quartet furnished the number.  During the program the lights went out for a little, of course.  It is quite muddy, but there were quite a few out - a good many dates, and Alpha came pattering in alone about nine o'clock.

"I had to bribe Ted with some candy to get him to hurry in so we could have supper early.  Howell came in so beastly early last time I was afraid he might arrive while we were eating.  Howell called up while we were at dinner so, of course, everyone heard me accept the date, and Orv kept grinning all during supper - trying to get me fussed, I presume.  But we had supper soon after Papa got back, and everything went off very smoothly."

Saturday, April 15, 1916 -
"This is Ruth's birthday.  I would sure like to see her tonight, and I wonder if she got my letter today.

"Mother left for Topeka this A.M., so I have been pretty busy with the baking today.  I made 7 loaves of bread, 4 pies, and baked beans this A.M., and Mrs. Hile and I made a cake this afternoon.  I haven't done much cooking lately, but I still know how.  We got the house cleaned pretty early and then Hester came to give Anna her lesson.  Her friend, Miss Meeker, came with her.

"I am so terribly sleepy I thought I'd go to bed early.  It's raining again, and a good night to sleep.  But I was mending and reading and crocheting and couldn't work up enough energy to come up stairs."   

Aunt Cleo's White Bread
2 cups milk
2 Tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 Tablespoon lard (shortening)
1 package dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
6 - 6-1/2 cups flour

1.  Scald milk.  Stir in sugar, salt, and lard.  Cool to lukewarm. 
2.  Sprinkle yeast on warm water; stir to dissolve.  Add yeast and 3 cups flour to milk mixture.  Beat with spoon until batter is smooth and sheets off spoon (or beat 2 minutes with mixer.)
3.  Add enough flour, a little at a time, first by spoon and then with hands, to make a dough that leaves the side of the bowl.  Turn onto a lightly floured board; cover and let rest 10 minutes.
4.  Knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes.  Round up into a ball and put into a lightly greased bowl.  Turn dough over to grease top; cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours. 
5.  Punch down, cover and let rise again until almost doubled, about 45 minutes. 
6.  Turn onto board; shape into ball and divide in half.  Shape into 2 loaves and place in greased 9" x 5" x 3" loaf pans.  Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. 
7.  Bake in 400 degree oven for 35 minutes or until deep golden brown.  Place on wire rack and let cool away from draft.  Dip waxed paper into shortening or butter and brush over the top of the loaves.
        from The Woodbury Larder: A Legacy published by Phyllis Woodbury Bryant

You might enjoy reading my previous blog post:

5 comments:

  1. I like the two greens together. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started reading the diary and it is very nice of you to print it. My great grandma came from Germany and settled in Ohio about this time. I don't know much about her so it is nice to read about your family. I like th color of greens for this block and will continue to follow your blog. alena

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to go play with this block without the pattern and after a little trial and error, I figured it out. Thanks for the challenge. Living in Topeka, I enjoy your diary so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fun that you're from Kansas and not even that far from where my grandmother grew up. I'm happy that you're enjoying her diary.

      Delete
  4. Love the block! I am not a green fan, but there is just something about the colors and pattern that work well together. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!