Sunday, December 2, 2012

Shooting Star Quilt Block

 

This 12" Shooting Star block is the 9th block of my Starwood Sampler Quilt.  The pattern is part of Sylvia's Bridal Quilt from the Elm Creek Quilt series of books by Jennifer Chiaverini.  This was my second try because I attempted to both enlarge the block and do paper piecing at the same time - neither of which are easy for me to do.  This quilt was made as a block of the month with my quilting group.  We chose specific blocks that tell the story of our home and community. 

We couldn't create a quilt about living in Colorado without including a block to represent our spectacular view of the stars.  The best display of shooting stars occurs during the second week of August each year.  The annual Perseid meteor shower can produce 50 to 100 bright meteors per hour.

In December, we enjoy the 100-foot, brightly lit Christmas Star on Sundance Mountain, shining down on our community.   
 
 
You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post:

4 comments:

  1. Your block is beautiful and obviously you are a fearless quilter! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember lying on the roof with my kids during an August night counting those shooting stars. Tokyo skies are a bit harder to see them but once I spent the night in the desert and there were so many stars you could hardly find the constellations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your block is lovely. It looks complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have made this block out of this book. I did have trouble with it. In the end I got it to work. It is a great block

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!