Friday, September 27, 2013

Pudding and Pie Quilt Block for My Curl Up with a Good Book Quilt

Pudding and Pie Quilt Block
 
Each Friday, I'm posting a block of my Curl Up with a Good Book Quilt, which I'm making as part of the online Quilters' Book Club.  This 12" Pudding and Pie block represents the book Wedding Ring by Emilie Richards, which we read and discussed in July 2013.  You can read more about this block and get a delicious blueberry pie recipe from the author here
 
In the Quilters' Book Club, we read and discuss a quilt novel each month and then make a quilt block to represent each book.  I have long admired red and white quilts so decided to keep it simple and go with just two fabrics, Kona Snow and Kona Rich Red, for my blocks.  I think this Pudding and Pie block is so unusual and will make a really wonderful addition to my Curl Up with a Good Book Quilt.  I've linked with member Elaine's Friday Night Block Party here.
 
I own three wonderful sources of quilt block patterns.  In The Quilter's Album of Patchwork Patterns by Jinny Beyer, the source of this Pudding and Pie block is Alice Brooks, unidentified newspaper clipping, date unknown.  I can also find this block in my 5,500 Quilt Block Designs by Maggie Malone.  It is not, however, in BlockBase, the CD-Rom version of Barbara Brackman's Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns.
 
In October, we'll be reading and discussing State Fair: a Benni Harper Mystery by Earlene Fowler.  Grab this book from your local library or bookstore and join the free, online Quilters' Book Club for our monthly book discussion and sew-along. 
 
If you made a quilt with only two colors, which two would you choose?  Inquiring minds want to know!  Answer in the comment section below.  If you are reading via email, you must first click on the blog title to be able to comment and read the comments of others.  

By commenting, you are entering you name in a give-away for a copy of The Double Wedding Ring by Clare O'Donohue, courtesy of Plume Books.  There will be two lucky winners this month!
 
You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post here.     

19 comments:

  1. I would make my two-color quilt with warm brown and medium gray-blue. I've reserved the next book. Thanks for doing this each month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would normally say that I'd do a blue and white or cream colored quilt. BUT I have a wonderful red that I love. It's a darker red with black flowers on it. If anybody follows my blog you will always see it crop up...especially during the holidays. So it would either be the blue or that red and white or a cream. Oh wait..I have black....black and white is classic...or....AGGGGH! To many choices. Not fair. (grins). Now I'll have to go and order the mystery. I love mysteries. Can't wait for the new month to start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Red and white! One day, I'm going to make a Jacob's ladder in Red and white.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blue and white/cream. Thinking about a houndstooth with that scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have already made a cream and brown, blue and cream, blue and white. I want to make a white and red one too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My 1st quilt was Blue & White. It was bright & fresh. It was a bit easier to focus not having to worry about all those yummy fabrics. I have also made a red & white toile quilt which I donated to charity. I am now part of a block swap and making this quilt in green & white.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love red so red and white it will be. But I will look at pictures of the red and white exhibition before I start to get inspired. There are amazing designs, like your block. Just beautiful! Spot on quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I would say blue and white, but since I have made one in those colors, maybe my next favorite would be blue and brown.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just found you, really love that block. Is the quilters reading club an open group? If so where can I find them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an open group, and you are welcome to join. It's actually on this very blog! The schedule of books is found using the link at the top of this page. Pick up the title mentioned above, read, and soon there will be discussion questions here.

      Delete
  10. Avacado green and black would be the colors I would choose. I think they would have an interesting edge to the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Me, I love the red and white!! Or red and cream. Red all the way!! Thanks for sharing with all of us. Blessings and smiles, Emilou :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I already have the fabric to make a red and cream quilt. I haven't finalised the design yet, but hope to start on the quilt in November when I attend a 4 day quilting retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would like to do a quilt in purple and black! Haven't found a pattern to inspire me into a purple/black quilt yet

    ReplyDelete
  14. Made a blue and and white one for my granddaughter

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been admiring all those exhibits of red and white quilts, so I have been collecting beautiful reds whenever I see something I MUST have. Now, I am finishing a baby quilt in pink and brown pinwheels, and also did another baby in teals and brown. Wow! I didn't realize I had already done two color quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've always wanted a red and white holiday quilt and/or tablecloth. You'll never guess what I found the other day-red and white holiday batiks! They're perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Red and white. I have had something sketched out on graph paper similar to a Jacob's ladder for years and years but the fabric choices are not on hand. Blue and white would be my next fav but I already have made two quilts in that combo, for the veterans home.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have been planning to make a red & white quilt. I've chosen the pattern but I'm still collecting the fabric.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!