Thursday, May 15, 2014

Mexican Star Quilt Block and Settling in Arizona Territory

Mexican Star Quilt Block

Do you love to quilt AND love to read?  I invite you to join the free, online Quilters' Book Club.  Each month, we read a book, discuss it through comments on my blog posts, and then make a quilt block to represent that book.  I research several potential blocks to go with the book's themes, setting, main characters, and events.  And I find the patterns free on the internet, making it easy for everyone to access.  Each member can choose the block or blocks they'd like to make.

To join, become a follower of my blog so you won't miss any blog post.  To make it super convenient, you can also sign up for my posts to be delivered right to you via email.  It is never too late to join and begin reading and sewing along with us.

Our book to read and discuss during May 2014 is THESE IS MY WORDS: THE DIARY OF SARAH AGNES PRINE by Nancy E. Turner.  It's historical fiction, but the author based the book on the life of her great-grandmother.  Get the book from your local library or bookstore and join us!  It's also available on Kindle right here. 


In the book, the family settles in Arizona Territory.  If you'd like to make a quilt block to represent this, here are several ideas for you to check out.  Click on each quilt block name to go to the free pattern:

Event:  Settling in Arizona Territory

Blazed Trail Quilt Block

Chimneys and Cornerstones Quilt Block

Hearth and Home Quilt Block shown below

Mexican Star Quilt Block shown above

Practical Orchard Quilt Block shown below

Hearth and Home Quilt Block

Practical Orchard Quilt Block
How many times have you moved in your lifetime?  It could be across town or across the ocean!  Inquiring minds want to know!


You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post May Redwork Snowman and May Snow.

16 comments:

  1. I've moved 8 times if you don't count working at summer camp and living at college for a year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have moved house seven times. (I don't count college or summer jobs either) I have finished this month's book. It was hard to put down. I am searching for a block to make that will fit my fabric selection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've moved about a dozen of times. One time one state over and back about a year later, but other than that it was always in the same state within 30 miles of each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have moved a total of 9 times since graduating from college in the dark ages of 1982. Some moves have been good, some not so good. Love this months book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have moved 12 times in my life, yet have lived here since 1970. Guess I finally took root.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've moved fourteen times in my life, lived in three different states. The house we live in now is by far my favorite home, and I hope to stay here *forever* (or as long as we can, till we get too old ...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have moved 12 times in our marriage. And I moved 5 times that I know of as I grew up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. An interesting question as only yesterday I was discussing with my dearly beloved our non move to New Zealand. Several years ago we were very serious about making the move. A colleague of ours went for it, we have family there and we have visited several times and adore the country and the people.
    We couldn't make it work, there was an elderly mum and I knew my ex would involve me in a major court battle to keep his children in UK (and rightly so I suppose). Time went on and then there were grandchildren and another elderly parent…
    Yesterday I realised that I was really glad it hadn't worked out. I love living in England, more so when the sunshine shines and the leaves are bright green and new as they are now. We visit NZ approximately every two years, it's a good compromise.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've moved about 11 times in my lifetime. I attended 6 different schools between kindergarten and high school. Now, I've been in this house for over 40 years! I can't imagine moving again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't remember how many times I have moved, but it is at least 8. Some of my moves were temporary, with a lot of my things in storage. There was a while where you could say that I lived at work... not hard to do when you are a long distance truck driver lol. I love your version of the Mexican Star!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So far, I've moved 12 times in my life (only 3 while married for the past 26+ years). I've lived in 4 states, too (TX, KS, OK, IL).

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have moved 7 times, from college graduation to present. We have been in our current location 32 years. Hope to not move again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have moved 18 times. Three times growing up, three times in college, and twelve times since I have been married. We lived for 5 years overseas in three different countries.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm almost ashamed to tell you I have moved a total of 38 times in my lifetime! I had to sit down and write them down! I don't think I'm done either.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I didn't move but once before I got married; we have moved nine times. We moved three in military, three times while hubby went to college; then we lived 20 years in one home, moved for a month--selling/buying another home, and have lived in this house for 22 years!! We're in our third vacation home and have had 2 camping trailers. (I'm wordy!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I moved 5 times before graduating high-school. Then I moved more than 10 times in Chicago until I moved the country! Now I'm married to a farmer & won't move again... Lord willing! We love our home. He grew up down the road. And it's just right for us, having our kids n grandkids spend time, & quilting! 💟

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!