Thursday, August 25, 2011

State Fair Sunflower Quilt Block


     I found this 12" State Fair Sunflower quilt block in the book Kansas Spirit: 15 Historical Quilt Blocks and the Saga of the Sunflower State by Jeanne Poore.  After I bought the book and was reading through it, I discovered that my cousin, George R. Pasley, is featured in the article "Finding the Beauty!"  This block is also very similar to part of a block pattern found here:  http://www.quilterscache.com/S/StateFairVariationBlock.html
     January 29 is Kansas Day, the day Kansas became a state in 1861.  Republicans always meet in Topeka, the state capital, on that day.  My grandmother's father, Fred H. Woodbury, was county treasurer for Osage County from 1900-1905 and later was state representative and state senator.
     Thanks to my cousin, Merry Lu Pasley, for sending me the first day of issue stamp commemorating the Kansas sesquicentennial on January 29, 2011.  

Saturday, January 29, 1916 -
"May phoned me this A.M. that coasting was in order now on Bob's hill and wanted me to tell Beck and come up tomorrow P.M., and perhaps we would go up to her house and make candy afterward.  

"Papa is in Topeka today and night attending the Annual Banquet, so our family is slightly reduced.  It has been pretty cold today and is snowing at intervals.  

"I hope it will be decent enough for us to go to Church in the A.M."  





You might enjoy reading my previous post:

8 comments:

  1. I like the sunflower block. Sunflowers are one of my favorite flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. They're so cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ♥ it, Susan. I want to try to make a sunflower wallhanging or pillow (or something) for a silent auction in November and now I don't have to hunt for a pattern.

    P.S. I feel honored to be mentioned in your blog, I'm glad you liked the stamp. I can't remember now if I asked if you had opened the envelope and seen the card inside. Lots of people didn't so I finally started asking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I opened it up long ago. I had already photographed it but then thought I should ask you if I could include it. You'll see the card inside of the envelope now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan, I just sat down to read this. It is very special. I look forward to the rest. Yes, I do love what ML sent out. She was here the other day and I gave a speech on KS. She asked about it but I couldn't put my hands on it immediately. But today I pulled out some of my correspondence from your DAD and also there was the KS stamp and poem from ML. Perfect fit together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sunflowers are so beautiful now are so beautiful all along the roadsides and in the pastures. My favorite time of year in Kansas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our sunflowers are especially beautiful and abundant this year in Colorado. Our local ice cream shop has some amazing sunflowers growing up through the asphalt in their driveway. And there is a beautiful garden on my way to school that is surrounded with sunflowers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it as I was born & raised in the great state of Kansas
    but sadly I now live in North Carolina with my gd daugther My daugther also lives near by
    But they were both born in Ks along with my gd son & son in law
    My husband was born in Colorado I like the winters here better no or little snow n ice
    I plant my sunflowers tho
    Sharron

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!