Saturday, May 19, 2012

Envelope Quilt Quilt Block




     I found the pattern for this 6" Envelope Quilt block in 5,500 Quilt Block Designs by Maggie Malone. 
     In these diary entries, Hattie finds that it's too cold to sleep on her sleeping porch so sleeps in her bedroom instead.  Since attending a wedding, she has been following a tradition of sleeping with a piece of the wedding cake under her pillow as well as a 'dream' envelope of names.  She withdraws a name each morning.  The remaining name is the man she'll marry.  It's obvious that she's not happy with the results!  Frank is her future husband, George and Anna are twins and her youngest siblings, and Dudley Doolittle is a U.S. Representative from Kansas.

Thursday, October 19, 1916 -
"This has been a very wintry day, a cold rain this morning which brought with it some snow and sleet.  We started the furnace this evening (rather Papa and the boys did).  I am sleeping 'in' tonight.  I don't think it does me any particular good to sleep out there where it is so cold my nose fairly freezes until I cover my face. 

"I have been doing all sorts of little odd jobs today.  Finished my teddy finally, pressed, mended, washed some gloves and stockings, etc.  I started a new tatting pattern this evening and became so interested I almost forgot to come to bed. 

"Frank's name came out of the 'dream' envelope this morning, leaving Otis as the finale.  But I'm not sleeping on it.  To tell the truth, it isn't half so much fun as when someone else fixed it."

Saturday, October 21, 1916 -
"This has been a lovely day and much warmer - in fact, we let the furnace fire go out this afternoon.

"Mother left for Topeka this morning, so I am the 'boss.'  I got along wonderfully with the children.  I let Anna make a couple of little cakes if she would be good, and she is quite proud of them. 

"Frank wanted me to go hear (Dudley) Doolittle, and as the roads were good, I consented.  He came over for supper, and we left about 7 o'clock.  We were in danger of being pulled for not having the tail light on so had to go to the garage and were a little late for the meeting.  He is certainly the handsomest man and a good friend of Frank's.  I may vote for him (he asked me to, especially) even if, as George says, 'he's nothin' but an old Democrat!'

"Frank gave me a lovely box of Lowney's nut chocolates, and I have had a lovely time.  We got in at 10:30." 

You might enjoy reading my previous blog post:
http://www.starwoodquilter.blogspot.com/2012/05/maple-leaf-quilt-block.html

4 comments:

  1. Poor Hattie! I bet she was hoping for Frank's name to be the last one she had in the envelope.

    Why does Mother go off to Topeka? Do you know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited that she is talking about voting! Glad to know she was excercising her relatively new opportunity to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am all caught up reading the past posts while I worked on an egg basket embroidery piece. Good spending time with a good read!

    Pulled up a google map of KS to get a feel of the proximity of the locations Hattie spoke of.

    I didn't think women got the right to vote until the 19th amendment was passed in 1920 though I guess some states may have allowed it sooner???

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1912: Male electorates in Michigan, Kansas, Oregon and Arizona approve state constitutional amendments for woman suffrage.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!