Friday, August 19, 2011

Evening Star Quilt Block


     The pattern for this little 6" Evening Star block is from The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt by Laurie Aaron Hird.  It is made of leftover scraps from other sewing and quilting projects.
     I have included an entire diary entry of my grandmother's.  My grandmother, Harriet Edith Woodbury, is 20 years old at the time of this writing.  Her brother Ted is 14.  George and Anna (twins) are 11.  Nancy and Ruby are horses!  Nora is a hired girl who helps with housework and cooking. 

Sunday, January 16, 1916 -
"Although it was snowing a little this A.M., Ted, George, Anna, and I piled into the sleigh behind Nance and Ruby and went to church.  We didn't get very cold.  There was just a handful of people there, and we had a good sermon, too; a Dr. Holcomb preached.  We got home just in time for dinner, and I certainly did justice to the meal.  This P.M., Anna, Nora, and I went down to inspect the ice; it is fine, a little snow on to make motorcycling good.  We followed some tracks but found not the owners although we went way up Turkey Creek.  Orv said there was a bunch wanting to come out skating tomorrow night.  I do hope we can have a party, for it is such grand moonlight weather now.  

"As the lights are rather dim, we amused ourselves this evening by guessing initials down by the fire - had lots of fun.  We were also measured.  I reached 5 feet, 8-1/2" with my high heels, and Ted was 5'9"." 

You might enjoy reading my previous post:
http://starwoodquilter.blogspot.com/2011/08/spool-quilt-block.html

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like they made their own fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm making the Farmer's Wife Quilt...but extremely slow. I have been on hiatis for such a long time trying to deal with my Mother's death.

    This is the nicest tribute you could give to your Grandmother! And the blocks being made from scraps is so ingenius.

    You should be very proud of the job you're doing. It brings some tears to my eyes, as fond memories of 'my' Grandmother come to my mind.

    Terrific job...and what a wonderful idea you have created ;-)

    ~Diana Lynn~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry for your loss, Diana. Thank you for your kind comments about my project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did such a good job with those plaids !!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!