Friday, August 12, 2011

Storm Signal Quilt Block


     The pattern for this 6" Storm Signal block can be found in The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt by Laurie Aaron Hird. 
     In these diary entries, Dan is foreman at the farm.  Fern is a high school friend of Hattie's from Emporia.  My grandmother (age 20) is describing another Sunday that she misses Sunday School due to bad weather.  I looked up the word "grippe."  It is an archaic term for "influenza." 
    
Saturday, January 8, 1916 -
"I'm so weary I can hardly sit up.  I don't know why for it is not late, and I haven't labored much today.  Nora and I cleaned the living room, hall, and den this morning, and I went to town after dinner.  I wasn't very crazy about going as I thought it was pretty cold and I had several little things I wanted to do here.  But after I got started, I didn't mind for it was not very cold.  I had some business to attend to for Papa and some bills to pay.  But the funniest thing - I met May in Wilson's, so she was going to ride as far as her house with me.  We very carefully piled our purchases in the buggy, unblanketed and reined Luke, climbed in and bade him back - when to our embarrassment we discovered we had failed to untie him.  (I don't think anyone saw us.) 

"Dan has made us a 'Jess Willard' sled.  If it snows we might go in it.  Stub said he got out and tried his new bells yesterday."

Sunday, January 9, 1916 -
"Another Sunday of the New Year gone without me going to Sunday School.  But it rained and melted the snow last night, then turned stormy and cold this A.M., so I thought the day much too disagreeable for me to venture out.  I am determined I'll not have the grippe like everyone else.

"I spent a good share of the day in writing an immense letter to Fern.  I hadn't written since Thanksgiving.  I lay around and read until about supper time.  I cracked some nuts and after supper made some candy, but we had been eating so much that we didn't care much for it.  However, I think there is no danger of having to throw it out.  I am a wee bit lonesome tonight.  I don't know why unless it's because I haven't been out all day."

You might enjoy reading my previous blog entry:
http://starwoodquilter.blogspot.com/2011/08/duck-tracks-quilt-block.html

12 comments:

  1. Love the block and thanks for the definition...grin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog tonight! I am just loving your diary entries! Thank you for sharing! Thank you for including something about how you make your blocks too. Interesting read.
    Cindy in Utah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, both! It's so encouraging to get responses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must depend on your family heritage. My mother always said grippe. And we never wanted it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Block! Great Blog! Love your gran's diary entries. You could publish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I read through old church records I ssee many references to "grippe" -cousin George

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan, do you know who Fern was - was that one of her cousins? The name is not familar to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan, I can't see this picture. I'm not sure why. It's true for some of them. I was particularly wondering what this one looked like because I'm sitting through a storm (Irene) right now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Merry Lu, my dad said that Fern was a high school friend of hers from Emporia. He can't remember her last name.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here is another block which displays your beautiful and diverse choice of fabrics. what a treat that you share your project and diary entries with us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been following your blog, and have enjoyed it SO MUCH! Thanks for all the effort you've put into this!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!