Sunday, October 27, 2013

My Easy Envelope Quilt - COMPLETED!




I finally completed my Easy Envelope Quilt.  It is 35" wide x 38" long.  Each envelope is about 4-1/2" x 6-1/2" and opens just like a real envelope.  It will hang in my classroom, with a poem in each envelope.  I found a fun crayon fabric at Equilter.com for the border and backing:


As a reading teacher, I meet with five groups of students each morning, 3 to 4 students per group.  Each week, I'll have one student in each group pick a poem for the week.  I'll make copies so each student will get that week's poem.  Over time, each child will develop a nice collection of poems to enjoy.
 
Now to find a poem for each envelope!  
 
You might enjoy reading my previous blog posts about this quilt here and here.  And if you'd like to make the quilt, you can find a video of it here featuring Alex Anderson along with pattern designers Lynda Milligan and Nancy Smith.  If for some reason you can't access the video, this pattern appears in Linda's and Nancy's book Hearts Aplenty.  I found it on Amazon here
 
What is your favorite poem?  Inquiring minds want to know!  Please answer in the comments section below.       

9 comments:

  1. I love these two poems by Edgar Allen Poe. One is Annabell Lee and The Bells. Love the quilt. Barb H. from Quilt Talk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I probably have enough poems in my head to fill those envelopes all up. I love all kinds of poems. Maybe my all-time favorites are John Greenleaf Whittier, The Eternal Goodness, maybe Edgar A. Guest "Somebody Said that it couldn't be done", Elizabeth Cecilia Douglas Clephane, "There Were Ninety and Nine". Maybe Herbert Merrill "Making My Peace" is a good one. I like "Good Enough Isn't Good Enough" (can't remember the author) and yes, Poe did write a lot of great stuff...and who wrote that tale of Sam MaGee? Oh... how do YOU pick a favorite?

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a former teacher, I love your idea!! What grade levels do you have?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lore, I'm currently working with students in third and fifth grade, but I've worked with students in kindergarten, first, second, and fourth also!

      Delete
  4. I don't really have a favourite poem.
    But I do love your quilt though.
    I think your border fabric is fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have a poem suggestion but I did make this quilt for a friend that had just been diagnosed with ovarian cancer and then had her friends and family write notes to her to put in each of the envelopes. When she need a boost or a hug she could just open an envelope and read one of the loving or encouraging notes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Gingham dog and the Calico Cat by Eugene Field is a good poem. I also love A Child's Garden of Verses poems by Robert Louis Stevenson. Love the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love how the quilt turned out!

    My favorite poem is one my big sister wrote for me in my autograph book back when I was in the 4th grade.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't seem to get the video to pull up, is there a place for the pattern?

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!