|Paper-Pieced Cowboy Boot Quilt Block|
If you'd like to make a block to represent the main character in the book - Benni Harper - here are some suggestions to get you started:
Appliqued Cowboy Boot Quilt Block
Appliqued Cowboy Hat Quilt Block
Cowboy's Star Quilt Block
Paper-Pieced Cowboy Boot Quilt Block - This is the block pictured above.
Benni Harper's Cowboy Cookies
1 cup shortening
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups flour
2 cups oats, uncooked
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Cream shortening and sugars until fluffy. Add eggs; beat until very light.
3. In a separate bowl combine flour, oats, salt, and baking soda. Add to creamed mixture and stir until combined.
4. Add chocolate chips and nuts. Stir to combine.
5. Drop on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes.
Benni Harper's Cowboy Coffee Cake
2-1/2 cups flour
2 cups brown sugar
½ teaspoon salt
2/3 cup butter
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup milk, made sour by adding 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar to it
2 eggs, beaten
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Mix flour, sugar, salt, and butter until crumbly. Reserve ½ cup.
3. To remaining crumbs, add baking powder, baking soda, and spices. Mix well.
4. Add sour milk and eggs. Mix well.
5. Pour into 2 greased 8-inch round cake pans; top with reserved crumbs.
6. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Serve warm.
As a heads up, our November book selection is a bit different. We'll be reading a book that was highly recommended to the Quilters' Book Club by Sandra Dallas, author of The Persian Pickle Club and Alice's Tulips. It's called Aunt Jane of Kentucky by Eliza Calvert Hall and is available free online right here. It was written in 1898 and consists of nine short stories.
Are you a big city gal, a country gal, or a small town gal? Inquiring minds want to know! Answer in the comment section below. If you are reading via email, you must first click on the blog title to be able to comment and read the comments of others. By commenting, you are entering your name in a giveaway for a $20 gift certificate to Fat Quarter Shop! The more times you comment throughout the month, the greater your chances of winning! A big thank you to Fat Quarter Shop for this wonderful giveaway!
You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post here.