Member Mary Ann's Dr Pepper BBQ Sauce Recipe
1/2 onion, minced
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 cups Dr Pepper
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
1 pinch salt
1. Mince onions and add them to a medium-sized pot with oil over medium heat. Cook until onions are soft.
2. Add Dr Pepper and tomato sauce and bring to a simmer.
3. Add other ingredients and stir.
4. Simmer BBQ sauce, stirring frequently until sauce reaches desired consistency. Depending on your taste, that could be 60-90 minutes. I like mine a bit on the thicker side.
5. Be sure to taste it near the end and season with salt or adjust any other flavors that you want more of (vinegar, for example).
A big Texas thank you to Mary Ann for this recipe!
The most popular snack foods in
Our September book is The Goodbye Quilt by Susan Wiggs. Order it now from your library or local book store, so you can join us in our discussion next month! You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post here.