Monday, September 5, 2011

Whirlwind Quilt Block


     I wanted the full hummingbird with flower in the middle square so ended up making this Whirlwind block 12" square to accommodate that.  Both of these fabrics are favorites of mine, so I am really pleased with how the block turned out.  You may have to tweak the fabric choices, but here is a free, online pattern that you can use.
     In this diary entry, the annual hog butchering is finally finished after four days of work.  My grandmother refers to the hired men's bunk house as the "Country Club."  Cleaning the "Country Club" is one of her regular household tasks.  Orv is a hired man who is about my grandmother's age.

Saturday, February 5, 1916 -
"I'm glad tomorrow is a day of rest, for today has certainly been a day of labor.  Although I am not so very tired, I don't want to go through another day like this very soon.  It seems as if we have done so many things not commonly done on Saturday.  Mother even washed this A.M., and there has been sausage and lard making progressing, too.  Thank goodness that annual event is over!

"The Country Club seems to be flushed with candy.  I even found some in one of the beds today.  Perhaps they meant it as a little tip for me.  However, I left it reposing on a pillow.  That's where I should be now - on my pillow (although I don't sleep on one).  But I'm waiting for Orv to bring me my promised letter.  He just now whistled, and Papa has gone to the door."

Farm Sausage
2 pounds lean ground pork, at room temperature
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
2 teaspoons finely minced fresh parsley
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon rubbed sage
1 teaspoon dried basil (optional)
1 teaspoon dried marjoram (optional)
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme (optional)
 
1.  In a deep bowl, combine all ingredients, using hands, if necessary.  
2.  On waxed paper, shape and roll mixture into two logs 6" long and 2" in diameter.  Wrap in plastic wrap or foil and refrigerate overnight.
3.  To serve, slice the rolls into rounds about 1/2" thick and fry in a heavy skillet over medium-low heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until done.  Drain and serve immediately.  Makes 24 slices.
 
Fresh sausage is very delicate; if you don't plan to use within a day or two, the sausage should be frozen.  It will not last in the refrigerator beyond two days.   
 
I got this recipe from the Rock Ledge Ranch Historic Site in Colorado Springs, Colorado at a program I attended called "Everything but the Oink."

5 comments:

  1. this block is gorgeous and I continue to love your grandmothers stories! thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great way to fit in that little hummer. I don't think I could have cut that fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the hummingbird and the story. I feel so spoiled by modern conveniences when I read your grandmother's stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this block! Both fabrics are divine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect! The hummingbird adds the perfect touch.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!