Monday, September 26, 2011

Linoleum Quilt Block


     I made this little 6" Linoleum quilt block from a pattern in the book The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt by Laurie Aaron Hird.  I found a free pattern for a 12" block online at http://hoecakesandhemlines.wordpress.com/2012/03/16/adjusted-linoleum-tile-quilt-block-by-amanda-h/.
     Uncle Will is the younger brother of Hattie's Mamma, Alberta Emily Young Woodbury, who passed away three years earlier.  Orvel Beckner is a hired man about Hattie's age.  Mother is Hattie's step-mother, Louise Daniels Woodbury.  
     
Thursday, March 2, 1916 -
"We were quite surprised to find 4 or 5 inches of snow on the ground this A.M. when we awoke, and it has snowed the greater part of the day until it is quite deep - good for sleighing.  Ha!

"Uncle Will left this A.M.  He says they have had no snow, nor even rain, at Wallace all winter, so we arranged for him to have a sleigh ride to the depot.

"Orvel killed a rabbit this morning, which we had for dinner; it was fine.  Then he came in this evening with another.

"Mother went up to see Dr. Mills this P.M.  She has been having such terrible headaches lately.  Of course, it is her nerves that cause the trouble.  While she was gone, I undertook to scrub the kitchen floor for the first time on record.  I have mopped a number of times but never got down on my knees to do it before.  But it looked lovely (if a kitchen floor is capable of being 'lovely') when I had finished.
 
"I have been doing a little darning and incidentally learning my piece this evening.  I hope the snow will not melt to make it muddy, and perhaps we can go in the sleigh tomorrow night." 

You might also enjoy reading my previous blog entry:
http://starwoodquilter.blogspot.com/2011/09/checkerboard-quilt-block.html

8 comments:

  1. I like the linoleum quilt block. Cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the block and your grandmother's dairy! really appreciate how you share this with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this block. I had to go back and read the diary from the beginning. I love it!! Can't wait to read the next post. And of course see the next block.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's interesting how she always says that it's "Mother's nerves" that is causing the headaches. I wonder what the doctors would find if Mother was alive and having headaches today. :)
    And it's a really bright, colorful, fun block!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa, I wondered the same thing about the headaches. I have to also remember that Mother Nelle, a former city woman, had experienced many tragedies in her life with the death of her first husband, a little daughter, and two sons. She is now a farmer's wife and step-mother to nine (six of whom are still at home). It's probably not surprising that she has some headaches!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are set up as a no-reply blogger, but I wanted to say thank you for letting me know about my link issue at sew we quilt on my post today. I also had an oops with the wood stick size they are suppose to be 3/4 x 3/4 inch. I updated the link and the post. Happy quilting and I LOVE Your BLOG!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The rotary cutting link wont work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found a new link that should work. Thanks for letting me know.

      Delete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!