Saturday, September 3, 2011

Waste Not Quilt Block


     I first tried paper piecing this 6" block but wasn't happy with it.  I ended up using the templates, being as careful as possible with the cutting, 1/4" seam allowance, and pressing.
     In this diary entry, the butchering process is into the second day.  Dutch, a local farmer, continues to help the family with the butchering.  Dan is the long-time foreman on the farm.  My grandmother refers to the hired men's bunk house as the "Country Club." 

Friday, February 4, 1916 -

"Dutch didn't come until after ten this A.M., so it made a rather late start for the meat and lard cutting process; but that part is finally done, and we are all tired so I'm not going to write much.  In fact, there isn't much to write.  We have been busy with the meat and getting the meals all day.  Dan and Mr. Scott were our guests at dinner this noon.  It sure made us tired.  Hospitable - not?

"Henry was serving refreshments in the way of marshmallows at the Country Club this P.M.

"I read Ted's 'Comet' and have been writing a letter to Ruth, waiting for Orv to bring me a letter - but in vain.  I got nothing!"


Ruth Woodbury, 1920

     My middle name is Ruth, for this beloved aunt of my dad's.  Aunt Ruth made her living as a seamstress.  For my parents' wedding gift, she designed and sewed my mother's wedding dress.  It was made of champagne Chantilly lace over a satin slip in very pale green to show off the lace pattern and to complement my mother's red hair.        

 Aunt Ruth's Spiced Nuts
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
Pinch of salt
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon cloves

1.    Combine all ingredients in a 3-quart saucepan.  Stir well and bring to a boil.
2.    Add 2 cups of walnuts or pecans.  Boil 10 minutes.
3.    Meanwhile prepare a small bowl with a mixture of one cup sugar and one teaspoon cinnamon. 
4.    Remove nuts with a slotted spoon to drain the syrup.
5.    Roll nuts (a spoonful at a time) in cinnamon-sugar mixture.
6.    Separate nuts on waxed paper and dry thoroughly.
7.    When dry, mix in some red hots for color.

You might enjoy reading my previous blog entry:

6 comments:

  1. Your block turned out great. I am happy to see a picture. It makes your stories more personal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog so much, Susan! I love all the little extras like the recipes and this photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you all for your kind comments. I make these nuts every year for my dad for his birthday, so I'm happy I got to include this recipe along with Aunt Ruth's picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this picture with the tatting around it. You don't see that very often. I can tat and just love seeing it in old photos which is rare. Awesome project.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!