Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Homeward Bound Quilt Block



     I fussy cut the flowers for this 9" Homeward Bound quilt block.  I think the green dot fabric gives the block some "pop."  The pattern can be found in a 6" size in The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt by Laurie Aaron Hird.
     In this diary entry, my grandmother is ending her visit with her younger brother Howard in Manhattan, Kansas.  A jitney is a small motor vehicle that transports passengers on a route for a small fare, usually a nickel.  The Katy was a smaller, second class railroad.  Hen is Henrietta Hanes, a close high school friend of my grandmother's.  The Turkish is an ice cream and candy store located in the heart of Emporia.  They make their own ice cream, chocolates, and candy.  You will notice that my grandmother mentions her future husband, Frank George, once again.

Wednesday, February 23, 1916 -
"It seemed like I was awake every five minutes during the night.  I didn't go to sleep very soon, and about two o'clock Clema and some girlfriends came home from the dance and piled in bed with me.  Then I kept fearing I would sleep too late and dreamed that Howard called me at three o'clock, so that in a way it was a relief when 5:30 came.  Our jitney came, and we went to take the interurban.  It was quite cold and dark, but the sun was shining beautifully by the time I got to Junction City.  The ride on the Katy was, as usual, a dirty, stuffy, and bumpy one, but I passed the time by reading the morning 'Capital' and 'The Battle Cry of Peace.'  I got to Emporia about 10:30 and after getting Mother's bedroom slippers, I went up to Haynes'.  Virginia came to the door, seemed delighted to see me, and I had the usual delightful time with her until Hen came.  After dinner . . . we went to the Turkish and the floral shop, then took a jitney to the station.  Hen and I were having a nice little chat which the brakie was very sorry to interrupt when the time came for the train to leave.

"Frank George rode with me as far as Lebo, and we discussed the Democratic Banquet and politics in general besides the very interesting subject of 'Experiences with Our Cars.'  Drs. Lusk and Mills were also on the train and talked with me a little.  Jennie Sodestrom got on at Lebo, and Mrs. Trapp was on the train, so I had company the rest of the way. . .  

"Then Mother came, and we came right on out home.  It seems good to get home again and in my own bed.  We have been examining seed catalogues this evening and have made a beautiful yard - in our minds."

  Uncle Ted's Swiss Chocolate Hot Fudge

This is a recipe from the Turkish Candy Company in Emporia.  My dad's Uncle Ted (Harriet's younger brother Teddy in her diary) later married Marjorie Thomas, whose family owned the Turkish.  Uncle Ted worked there and made this hot fudge recipe.

3 squares bitter chocolate
6 Tablespoons butter
1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk

1.  Melt chocolate and butter in the top of a double boiler so the chocolate won't burn.
2.  Add one cup of sugar; when well combined, add the remaining half cup of sugar.
3.  Cover and cook over low heat for ten minutes.
4.  Add milk; mix and cook 30 minutes.  Stir occasionally.
                                      
                       from The Woodbury Larder: A Legacy by Phyllis Woodbury Bryant  

You might enjoy reading my previous post: http://starwoodquilter.blogspot.com/2011/09/country-path-quilt-block.html

6 comments:

  1. Nice fudge recipe. It is so interesting that the Turkish became part of family history with a marriage between your great uncle and the owner's daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitly like the green dot. Plus I love how you fussy cut the roses.
    ~Kimberlee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Purple and lime green - one of my favorite color combos! Love reading the journal entries. Glad "The Turkish" turned out to be a candy store and not the local hot tubs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would the Dr. Lusk mentioned on this train be related to Ann Woodbury Lusk's in-laws in some way? Just curious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am nearly positive that absolutely any Lusk mentioned in the diary would be related to Ann Woodbury Lusk's in-laws!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to know how much is 3 squares of bitter chocolate back in 1916??? LOL! How many ounces was that?? Surely it was more than 3 Bakers squares? Who knows the answer to this? I want to make some.

    Love the stories and the recipes Susan!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!