Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Cut Glass Dish Quilt Block

     
     This Cut Glass Dish quilt block has 51 pieces of fabric.  Because of that, I chickened out and made it 9" square instead of the 6" square called for in The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt by Laurie Aaron Hird.
     In this diary entry, the Woodbury family is celebrating Papa's 56th birthday.  I looked up "Larapin" and found that it is slang for great food, usually home-cooked.  From what I can tell, "Larapin" salad is not a specific recipe.  If someone knows differently, please comment.    

Tuesday, February 8, 1916 -
"The lights are so dim tonight on account of a shortage of coal oil that I must not keep mine burning long or there will not be enough for morning.  I hope Orvel brings the mail soon, or I'm afraid I'll be in bed.  I am a little weary tonight as this has been sort of a busy day.  I cleaned some this A.M. and ironed this P.M.  Then tonight we had Papa's birthday dinner.  He had intended to leave for Wichita this evening.  Then, as he wasn't feeling very well, he put off going until morning, but we had everything all planned.  Minerva baked a cake, and I put 56 candles on it.  We had 'Larapin' salad and hot chocolate and some of the best dishes out.  He was quite surprised, although we had a hard time to keep him away from the dining room.

"Orv's little whistle sounded below, and I went down and received the mail - after all my waiting, nothing for me.  Darn!  But Orv brought me a Hershey, so that is some consolation."

Aunt Minerva's Chocolate Birthday Cake
1/2 cup cocoa
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup milk made sour by adding 1 teaspoon lemon juice or vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla
 
1.  Mix cocoa and water in saucepan and stir over low heat until consistency of whipped 
     cream.  Cool.
2.  Beat together butter, sugar, and eggs.
3.  Combine flour and baking soda.  Add to sugar and egg mixture alternately with milk.
4.  Add cocoa mixture and vanilla.  Beat well.
5.  Bake in a 9 x 13" pan for 30 minutes at 375 degrees.
             
           from The Woodbury Larder: A Legacy published by Phyllis Woodbury Bryant

You might enjoy reading my previous post:

6 comments:

  1. Love the blue bonnet fabric and the reciple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Larapin" an adjective for good or delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The block is beautiful; great choice of fabrics. I don't know if I could have managed all those tiny HSTs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being a Texan (even thought I live and love Tn now) I fell in love with the bluebonnet quilt. I may have to get some of that type of material. It just reminds me so much of my roots. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lived in Texas when I was growing up and miss the wildflowers in the spring, so I can understand completely.

      Delete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!