Saturday, September 10, 2011

Cross and Crown Quilt Block



     For this block, I used more of the Jay McCarroll Habitat fabric I received from the Front Range Modern Quilt Guild as part of a challenge.  I found the pattern for this 12" block at http://www.quilterscache.com/C/CrossandCrownBlock.html
     Baker University is a Methodist college in Baldwin City, Kansas.  Ethel is a neighbor who works for them.  Ted is Harriet's 14-year-old brother.  Orv and Henry are hired men.  
    "William Ashley 'Billy' Sunday was an American athlete who, after being a popular outfielder in baseball's National League during the 1880s, became the most celebrated and influential American evangelist during the first two decades of the 20th century.  Sunday was a strong supporter of Prohibition, and his preaching almost certainly played a significant role in the adoption of the 18th amendment in 1919." (Wikipedia)
  
Sunday, February 13, 1916 -
"We walked to Sunday School this A.M., but it was worth it for Dr. Mason from Baker University had a splendid sermon.  We enjoyed the walk, too, for it has been bright and a little cold all day.  It whetted our appetites for the good dinner Mother and Ethel had ready when we got home.  Right after dinner, Bertha and Sara and Sophie and Chick came.  They had been down to see the ice jam and came on up here to see the house.  I think Chick sure took everything in.  Fred Fillmore also came after Ethel and was here quite awhile - left about 4:30, I think.  Ted went to church again tonight.  I tried to get Orv and Henry to go but didn't succeed.  Orv said he had letters to write, but he was sure going to hear Billy Sunday in Kansas City in April.  I have been writing some tonight, too."

You might also enjoy reading my previous post:
http://starwoodquilter.blogspot.com/2011/09/maltese-cross-quilt-block.html

4 comments:

  1. I love your blogs - feels as if I'm right there.

    Thank you so very much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your encouragement! It means a lot to me.

      Delete
  2. I would love to join your group. It is right up my alley as it is written by a Christian Women. Thanks so much. Paula Vail Jenison, Michigan

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!