Sunday, December 4, 2011

Whirlpool Quilt Block




     This 8" Whirlpool block is nothing but half squares triangles so is an easy block to make.  (Maybe not so easy.  At first go-around, I sewed the entire right quarter of the quilt upside down and had to re-do and re-photograph!)  I used the pattern from The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt by Laurie Aaron Hird but sized it up from 6" to 8" finished.   
     In this diary entry, the river that is mentioned is the Marais des Cygnes River, a 217 mile river located in eastern Kansas and western Missouri.  Marais des Cygnes means "Marsh of the Swans" in French, presumably in reference to the Trumpeter Swan.
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marais_des_Cygnes_River  Alpha, Griffie, and Lizzie are friends of Hattie's.  Orv is a hired man close to Hattie's age, and Mrs. Hile is a neighbor who helps with housework.  This is another entry in which Frank George (along with his mother and sister, Fannie) are mentioned.  Frank is Hattie's future husband and my grandfather!

 
Sunday, May 7, 1916 -
"After not attempting to sleep until 2:10 this A.M., Alpha and I awoke at six o'clock.  We ate candy and took some 'morning after' pictures, then finally dressed in time for breakfast at 7:30.  We took a little stroll down by the river before Sunday School.  Everything was beautiful and fresh this A.M.  The water looked so inviting that we decided Alpha would come home again after church with me, and we'd go boat-riding.  Griffie wanted to come out, too, and although she phoned me this P.M. that she was coming out with Lizzie, she didn't appear.  I dressed all up in my white middy suit and hat, and we walked out to the bridge with our Kodaks to wait for her.  A party of Lebo people were coming down, and we came on up when they arrived.  There were Dr. and Mrs. Lusk, Mr. and Mrs. D.P. Jones, Mr. and Mrs. Black and their two children, and Frank George, his mother, and Fannie.  After they left, we started for our boat ride.  Orv insisted on going with us, and we couldn't find any oars and the boat was locked and Orv broke it and then threw our padlock (the broken one) into the river!  We got stranded on a rock and slopped water into the boat and all over ourselves until we certainly were a sorry looking mess." 

Monday, May 8, 1916 -
"This has seemed like the longest day!  After having all sorts of queer dreams last night and having a sudden wind come up and nearly blow us out of bed, we awoke before six o'clock.  Alpha's father called and wanted her to come right home.  So immediately after breakfast before six-thirty, she started.  It was a lovely cool morning.  As it was wash day, I did the housework and Mother and Mrs. Hile were in the basement.  Mrs. Barrett phoned and told me that Mrs. Jessee had died last night and that was the reason Mrs. B. had phoned for Alpha.  

"About ten o'clock, I became so desperately sick I had to go to bed with the hot water bag and dope up on hot ginger.  I guess slopping around in that boat yesterday was not especially helpful to my welfare.  About noon, I finally fell asleep and slept until 3:30.  That's one reason why it seems like such a long time since morning.  

"I lounged around a while then wrote a letter to Howard.  Mother, and Papa, and I received invitations tonight to the Golden Wedding of Mr. and Mrs. Lovell for Wednesday evening.  I think it will be real nice.  Well, Papa will be at home tomorrow morning, and I'll be glad!"

You might also like to read my previous blog post:
http://starwoodquilter.blogspot.com/2011/12/friendship-block-quilt-block.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!