Thursday, December 1, 2011

Friendship Square Quilt Block


     I really love this Little Apples fabric line by Aneela Hoey.  I thought it was perfect for this 8-1/2" Friendship Square block.  I found a 6" pattern for this block in The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt by Laurie Aaron Hird but made it larger to accommodate the center fabric design.  
     In these diary entries, Ruth is Hattie's 23-year-old sister while George and Anna are 12-year-old twins in the family.  Mrs. Hile is a neighbor who helps with housework, and Orv is a hired man about Hattie's age.  The others mentioned are her friends. 

Friday, May 5, 1916 -
"I thought I'd go to bed early, but after I took my bath, I started a letter to Ruth and it is now after ten.

"Today has been lovely - even a little hot.  George and Anna had vacation today, and a bunch of the high school and 8th graders had a picnic down here this P.M. after school.  Mother and Mrs. Hile went to town, and I stayed home with the kids and washed my hair and did a little darning.  Then this evening just before supper, Anna and I went over in the woods and picked two immense bunches of violets.  They are lovely - so blue and long stemmed!  I sent Hen and Lesta each a bunch. . .

"We were favored with a nice mess of fish for dinner by Mr. Trapp."

Saturday, May 6, 1916 -
"After all my work, planning and hoping for Florine to come, she disappointed me - never even wrote me a letter.  It is such nice weather, too, I think it's a shame.  After I went to the train and she didn't come, Alpha told me to come to her house for supper and go to the show.  I phoned Mother and she said if Alpha would come home with me, it would be all right.  It was in the bargain that if I stayed, Stub would take care of my horse.  Ruby McCauley chaperoned and took us all in to the show.  There were Griffie, Alpha, Lela, Grace, and I in the 'string party' as Louie called it.  The movies were rather dim, but Alpha and I furnished peanuts and candy, and we had fun anyhow.  Orv took Alpha and me to the Restaurant afterward and we had a 'cold one.'  Then Orv came out with us, for which I was truly thankful - we didn't have to put away the horse.  As it is nearing midnight, we must pile in."   

You might also enjoy reading my previous blog entry:
 http://www.starwoodquilter.blogspot.com/2011/11/night-and-day-quilt-block.html

7 comments:

  1. are all the individual blocks you post for the Farmer's Wife quilt along? I see that yours are all different sizes though?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blocks are for the Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt. I am making my blocks all different sizes, though, from 6" to 12" so the layout of mine is going to look different from the original quilt found in the book. I am also making my quilt larger and using more than 111 blocks, so I will have extra blocks in my quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love this block! I'm going to order some of the same fabric right now so I can make my block like your. (I hope you don't mind!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't mind at all. Just remember that the typical Farmer's Wife block is 6" square, and I made this one 9" square to accommodate the size of the circle of children in the center.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great block! I love the fussy cutting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very adorable block and clever use of the fabric! I always enjoy your work, just am not always able to comment. Thanks for brightening the day!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!