Thursday, December 22, 2011

Shopping Spree Quilt Block


     I found this 12" Shopping Spree block in Judy Martin's Ultimate Book of Quilt Block Patterns.  Did you know there is a quilt block with that name?  I used Judy's templates to make the block. 
     As I post this, we have a foot of snow outside, so it's strange reading about a "truly summer day."  In these diary entries, Elmo is a hired man.  "William Ashley 'Billy' Sunday was an American athlete who, after being a popular outfielder in baseball's National League during the 1880s, became the most celebrated and influential American evangelist during the first two decades of the 20th century.  Sunday was a strong supporter of Prohibition, and his preaching almost certainly played a significant role in the adoption of the 18th amendment in 1919." (Wikipedia)  http://www.starwoodquilter.blogspot.com/2011/11/streak-of-lightning-quilt-block.html

Monday, May 22, 1916 -
"This has been a truly summer day - not too warm but quite pleasant.  Incidentally, it was a nice wash day.  Of course, we have been quite busy.  I had a little nap this afternoon and wrote a letter.  I was in hopes I'd get one in return tonight, but it seems that Elmo thinks he will keep the mail until morning.

"Papa and Mother may go to Kansas City in the morning, and if they do, that means no beauty sleep after five o'clock.  So I must pile in."

Tuesday, May 23, 1916 -
"The folks did go to Kansas City this A.M., and as we got up at five o'clock and it is after ten now, I'm just a little tired...

"Mr. Trapp brought us a mess of fish today, 35 in all, but some were quite small. We had 9 of the largest ones for supper."

Wednesday, May 24, 1916 -
"Of course, 5:30 came pretty early this A.M., and I have been quite busy all day.  I was determined to finish the ironing, and although it is a warm day, with Anna's help on the last few pieces, I finished it this P.M.

"The folks came home this evening; they were so rushed that they said they couldn't take time to go hear Billy Sunday.  They did do quite a bit of shopping.  Papa said he bought a nice, big hall clock, a sofa, and some other furniture, including a couple of sleeping porch cots - one for me and one for himself that is larger than the one he has now.  He said he could give his short one to Howard.  Ha!

"Mother brought me a pretty green silk (changeable) petticoat, a dainty organdy waist, a pair of white gloves, a pretty 'teddy bear,' a silk handkerchief, and a towel for my hope box.  O yes, and some candy.  I think I was indeed well remembered.  It pays to stay home and keep house and do the ironing."

You might also enjoy reading my previous block post:
http://www.starwoodquilter.blogspot.com/2011/12/waterwheel-quilt-block.html

3 comments:

  1. Great looking block! I wonder why it's called shopping spree. It looks kind of pinwheelish. Pretty purples!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh i LOVE the line about it pays to stay home and do the ironing.......lol......that is great. i love the purples. that's how i feel after a big shopping trip--like i've been going around in circles. thank you.
    i was raised by my grandparents for many years and i felt so close to them. reading about yours reminds me often of mine and that's certainly an added treasure to me

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found this wonderful blog, and I love it! I assume you know that a "teddy bear" is what my mother called an undergarment. I am almost 68, and my mother was born almost a hundred years ago.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!