Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Christmas Tree Quilt Block and the Newlyweds Choosing the Tree in The Christmas Quilt by Jennifer Chiaverini


Do you love to quilt AND love to read?  I invite you to join the free, online Quilters' Book Club.  Each month, we read a book, discuss it through comments on my blog posts, and then make a quilt block to go with the book.  I find the patterns free on the internet, making it easy for everyone to access.  Each member can choose the block or blocks they'd like to make.

To join, become a follower of my blog so you won't miss any blog post.  To make it super convenient, you can also sign up for my posts to be delivered right to you via email.  It is never too late to join and begin reading and sewing along with us.     


Our book to read and discuss during December 2013 is The Christmas Quilt by Jennifer Chiaverini.  It's a quick, fun read.  Get the book from your local library or bookstore and join us! 

In the book, the Bergstrom family has a tradition of the newlyweds choosing the Christmas tree.  If you'd like to make a quilt block to go with this tradition, here are some wonderful, free patterns for you to check out:

Christmas Tree Quilt Block shown above

Christmas Tree and Presents Quilt Block

Southern Pine Quilt Block

Striped Tree Quilt Block Pattern

Super Easy Paper-Pieced Tree in 4 Sizes
 
The Little Cedar Tree Quilt Block
 
Tree Quilt Block Pattern




 In my family, it was tradition for my husband and boys to go into the woods on our property and cut down our Christmas tree each year.  I would have cocoa waiting for them on their return.  Some of the trees looked slightly "Charlie Brownish," so my husband would drill holes into the tree trunk and insert extra limbs.  My husband now buys a tree at a local lot.  We always get a REAL tree as tall as possible.  This year, it's a beautiful Noble Fir.   
 
What kind of Christmas tree do you have - an artificial one or a real one?  Do you buy a tree off the lot or cut one down?  Inquiring minds want to know!  Please answer in the comment section below.  If you're reading this via e-mail, you must click on the title of the blog post in order to comment or to read the comments of others.  By commenting, you are entering your name in this month's give-away.  Plume Books has generously offered a December give-away of two more copies of Jennifer Chiaverini's just-released book, An Elm Creek Quilts Companion.

The Quilters' Book Club selection for January is The Healing Quilt by Lauraine Snelling.  Get the book from your local library or bookstore and plan to join us!
 
You might enjoy reading my previous blog post Making the Christmas Quilt in The Christmas Quilt by Jennifer Chiaverini.

10 comments:

  1. First of all I have to say that I love all of Jennifer Chiaverini's books. They are easy and enjoyable reads. Second, thank you for writing such a delightful blog and book club. Christmas tree traditions are fun and a little different. My dad died when I was in sixth grade so I don't remember a lot about the Christmas tree tradition. I do remember decorating it and picking up pine needles off our carpet for most of the next year. Then after dad died mom turned to artificial trees. Much easier to put up and she loved the silver alum. kind. Yes we had one of those multi colored wheels that spun around to turn your tree red, green, blue, yellow. Come to think of it...where they made by Dr. Suess? I don't think I've ever seen a Christmas tree those colors. LOL. Later on she straightened out and went with green trees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We cut down our tree each year. This year it's a blue spruce. It's a fun tradition, but almost aways a very cold one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great use of fabric for this block!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We didn't put up a tree this year as we won't be home for Christmas, but we normally have a live tree which we cut from the forest. We live in an area where we are surrounded by National Forests and for a nominal fee can cut our own tree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Growing up and when my children were young we always had a real tree, I love the balsam and pine smell. I have an 18" tree that I collect miniature ornaments for. I have used that for the last several years. Also I was given a 4' artificial tree this year, So I dried orange slices, strung popcorn and cranberries to decorate it. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Live trees are hard to get in Tokyo and can be very expensive. When my kids were growing up, the school used to get trees for the classrooms. On the last day, I would drive out and bring a tree home to use. They came from Canada and were cut rather early to make it to Tokyo before the holidays so I also recall the sound of falling needles as people passed or dogs wagged their tails. THEN, someone made complaints at school. No trees anymore. The big fund raiser went from "Holiday Happening" to "Winterfest",.. Christmas was a big no-no.
    The army, air force, bases have trees for sale but after 9/11 no base access. We opted for a one meter fake tree, and just as well because it can sit on the coffee table (no floor space in out rabbit hutch). As long as we don't add too many new ornaments, it works.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We now have an artificial tree which needs to be replaced, but once you get ornaments on, it looks nice. When our sons were young, we went to a tree farm and cut our own. When a was growing up, my Dad got the first tree at the grocery store and set it up the day after Thanksgiving and took it down on the 12th night. It was short needled and I loved the smell.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For us it's an artificial "pencil" tree. I can tuck it into a small space and it is really quite festive once the lights and ornaments are in place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We always have a fake tree. I like the ease of putting it up and storage.
    My daughter has a real tree. It really does smell lovely and fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ever since I left home, the Christmas tree has always been my thing. We always used to have a real tree, but about 8 years ago we bought a really realistic fake tree. I now prefer it as it is so much easier to decorate. I now have two trees, one in the lounge that is red, green and gold and another that is placed either in the hall or kitchen. The main tree is full of decorations that have been collected over the years and are full of memories. The second tree changes in theme, this year it has a vintage theme.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!