Thursday, December 19, 2013

A Colorado Christmas and Welcome to My Cabin Quilt

 
A Colorado Christmas
Written by my son Drew when he was in 5th grade

        On the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me a chickadee in a pine tree.
        On the second day of Christmas, my true love gave to me two chipmunks and a chickadee in a pine tree.
        On the third day of Christmas, my true love gave to me three black bears, two chipmunks, and a chickadee in a pine tree.

         On the fourth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me four hummingbirds, three black bears, two chipmunks, and a chickadee in a pine tree.
 
 
        On the fifth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me five columbine, four hummingbirds, three black bears, two chipmunks, and a chickadee in a pine tree.
 
 
        On the sixth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me six squirrels scolding, five columbine, four hummingbirds, three black bears, two chipmunks, and a chickadee in a pine tree.
        On the seventh day of Christmas, my true love gave to me seven rabbits hopping, six squirrels scolding, five columbine, four hummingbirds, three black bears, two chipmunks, and a chickadee in a pine tree.
        On the eighth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me eight deer running, seven rabbits hopping, six squirrels scolding, five columbine, four hummingbirds, three black bears, two chipmunks, and a chickadee in a pine tree.
 
        On the ninth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me nine turkeys squawking, eight deer running, seven rabbits hopping, six squirrels scolding, five columbine, four hummingbirds, three black bears, two chipmunks, and a chickadee in a pine tree. 
 
        On the tenth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me ten bobcats crouching, nine turkeys squawking, eight deer running, seven rabbits hopping, six squirrels scolding, five columbine, four hummingbirds, three black bears, two chipmunks, and a chickadee in a pine tree.
 
        On the eleventh day of Christmas, my true love gave to me eleven raccoons peering, ten bobcats crouching, nine turkeys squawking, eight deer running, seven rabbits hopping, six squirrels scolding, five columbine, four hummingbirds, three black bears, two chipmunks, and a chickadee in a pine tree.
      On the twelfth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me twelve foxes leaping, eleven raccoons peering, ten bobcats crouching, nine turkeys squawking, eight deer running, seven rabbits hopping, six squirrels scolding, five columbine, four hummingbirds, three black bears, two chipmunks, and a chickadee in a pine tree.
 
All the pictures were taken in our yard!  You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post December Tree Trimming Basket Quilt Block.

5 comments:

  1. A GREAT QUILT! 3 bears? Like one wasn't enough? LOL. I'm sure that many turkeys meant he was planning on a lot of guests. Speaking as the local representative to head the "I escaped the turkey farm" group...thank you for showing a plump turkey. I hate to see skinny ones. :) BTW, did you know that turkeys really *are* dumb? They will peck at you when you try to take them out of the rain (yes I was raised on a legit turkey farm) so they don't drown because they open up their beaks to catch the rain and forget to close it. :) I also think after the bobcats showed up on the scene, it explains why everybody else is all hopping, squawking, running and scolding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a fifth grader that was in tune with his environment. ... though I rather imagine it would be easier to see turkeys or geese in larger numbers than bobcats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Drew's words better; they are great! And I love this quilt; I realized looking at it that you did the seasons in your borders. Beautiful, I especially like the acorns and columbine, and the cabin itself. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is very cute, with photos to match too.
    Love your quilt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool. Do you see all these animals at your cabin?

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!