Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Morning Quilt Block


      I found the pattern for this 6" Morning quilt block in The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt by Laurie Aaron Herd, but I redid the pattern to reduce the number of pieces. 
     In these diary entries, Mr. Taylor is a friend and week-end guest of Hattie's brother, Howard.  Ted, Anna, and George are Hattie's other younger siblings.  Frank is the man she's been dating since June (who will later become her husband and my grandfather).  Ruth, Wayne, Stub, and Fern are friends.  
     The "League" Hattie refers to is the Epworth League, a Methodist young adult association.  The "Normal" is Kansas State Normal School, a teacher's college in Emporia, Kansas.  More information on The Story of a Wedding Ring by Bertha M. Clay can be found at: http://chnm.gmu.edu/dimenovels/intro.html

Sunday, September 10, 1916 -
"I am so tired, I am not going to write much.  I was up before six o'clock this morning to see Mr. Taylor off and get him a bite of breakfast, and the clock just now struck eleven.

"Frank came over soon after five, and about six we started for Lebo, going west and up near Arvonia.  I was driving, and we sure got into some awful roads before we turned south.  But the ride was lovely after that and the moonlight perfect.  We reached there in time for League and also stayed for church.  I certainly enjoyed the good music and singing.  Ruth and Wayne went with us to get 'a cold one' afterward.

"Howard, Ted, Anna, and I went to church this morning.  George wouldn't brave it on account of his bee-stung eye."

Monday, September 11, 1916 -
"Of course, it rained today - since it was the opening day for the Topeka Fair, the Normal, and many other schools, Alpine included.  But it treated us very nicely - the sun came out when we were ready to hang out the clothes and stayed out until after four when we had them in the house.  But the children were caught in the rain coming home from school.  

"I want to get to bed early.  It is just nine, but I have finished The Story of a Wedding Ring by Bertha M. Clay, so with few more adieus shall retire.

"Oh dear, I believe I am lonesome.  I don't know what else to call it, but something is the matter, and what will it be when Howard is gone ? - !"

Tuesday, September 12, 1916 -
"I don't know what's going to happen to me if I don't find something more worthwhile to do.  I don't have any energy at all, feel so sort of restless, and I'm getting so I fairly hate housework.  It makes me just heartsick, too, to read of all the schools opening and the students and teachers beginning work.  I don't see why -

"George, Howard, and I went to town tonight.  George was getting some books.  Frank was in town, and I talked with him a while.  Went over to Stub's after some crochet thread and stopped in to chat with Fern a minute.  Stub was recalling the good old days, and I admit I fell in with his mood.  We sure did have some good times two years ago - those socials!"

You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post:
http://www.starwoodquilter.blogspot.com/2012/04/mystery-block-quilt-block.html

5 comments:

  1. You know, sometimes I feel just like Hattie! We forget that others are just like us!!

    Bright and cheery block!!

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have often felt like Hattie, watching others go off to do things I wished I could do. I wonder if I would have been brave enough to write down my feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love this block. Your colors are so bright and cheerful. I love looking at your blocks. They're always done so well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a happy block! I just love it AND your grandmother!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, good to see you at BOMs Away. :D

    What a fun way to work through this quilt, with quotes from your Grandmother's diary! Man - a bee sting on the eye sounds NASTY, doesn't it? (And this block is really pretty)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!