Friday, April 6, 2012

Mystery Block Quilt Block


     I found the pattern for this 6" Mystery Block in 5,500 Quilt Block Designs by Maggie Malone.  A 12" version with the same shapes but different color placement can be found at  http://www.quilterscache.com/M/MysteryBlock.html.
    In these diary entries, Anna is Hattie's 12-year-old sister, and Howard is her 19-year-old brother.  Mr. Taylor is Howard's friend who's visiting for the week-end.
    
Thursday, September 7, 1916 -
"I haven't done a blessed thing, outside of helping with the dishes and supper, but crochet and sleep today.  But, thanks to my persistence, my yoke is finished!  (I mean a little crocheted yoke I have been working on since before Easter.)  It has rained all day - a splendid rain - but cleared off this evening and is beautiful out now at 11:30.  Since it was such a lazy day, we sat around and crocheted, but this afternoon even that made me tired so I thought I'd lie down for a few minutes.  I slept from about 2:00 until 4:30 when Anna called me.  I had thought I'd go to bed early, but after such a nap I wasn't sleepy so sat up until Howard and Mr. Taylor came.  The train was late, and they didn't get out here until after ten o'clock.  I read Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and was feeling just a little creepy and was glad when the boys arrived to break the stillness.  Everyone else had retired. 

"Mother and Anna didn't go to Emporia on account of the rain.

"Well, I must turn in - it is 'most midnight.  No beauty sleep for me!"

Friday, September 8, 1916 -
"I am so dead for sleep I can hardly write.  It is just a little after ten, but I didn't nap any today and am feeling the need of a little slumber.  And worse still, Mr. Taylor and I went for a horseback ride, and since I haven't ridden for a long time, it made me feel very tired and stiff.  We went to town and then back around by the east road.

"It was very foggy this morning, but the sun shone out after a while and was a little hot this afternoon.  It is beautiful out tonight."

"We have been downstairs inspecting films, Kodak pictures, and 'acting up' in general until I'm weary.  Mr. Taylor says he will help me finish some pictures."

Saturday, September 9, 1916 -
"It is after 11:00 o'clock.  Mr. Taylor and I have been printing pictures, and he is leaving on the 7:10 tomorrow morning.

"Mother and Anna went to Emporia today and had a nice trip.  Mother brought me some nice materials for my tatting nightgown, candy, salted peanuts, etc.  I kept house and was quite satisfied over the dinner I prepared - baked potatoes, steak and gravy, slaw, sliced tomatoes, warm apple pie, bread and butter, coffee, milk, etc."

You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post:
http://www.starwoodquilter.blogspot.com/2012/04/aloha-quilt-block.html

3 comments:

  1. love this block! i love browns and oranges together, and your fabrics are great. i can't wait until we get back to the romance

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine how much work such a big dinner must have been in 1916!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great block. I really enjoy seeing your blocks. I am often amazed that you can make one each day. Wow, you are motivated. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!