Sunday, April 22, 2012

Mary's Squares Quilt Block


      I found this 8" Mary's Squares Quilt Block in 5,500 Quilt Block Designs by Maggie Malone. 
     In these diary entries, Hattie attends a bridal shower for Ruth Jones on Friday.  On Saturday, Colonel and Mrs. Whitley visit the family.  (When Hattie's Papa was 19, he came to Kansas from Boston and worked for Colonel Whitley for 2-1/2 years.  Part of his pay included ten yearling heifers and their increase, which helped him to establish his own herd.)

Friday, September 22, 1916 -
"I just got home from the shower.  I certainly had a lovely time and oh! I'm going to be invited to the wedding.  I'm sure tickled!

"After a busy morning of cleaning and Papa in bed with an awfully swollen face and toothache, I was afraid I might have to stay home to drive the car up to meet the motor.  But Papa got up in the afternoon, and I suppose he did.  The folks have all retired.  I am wondering if they didn't have enough lights; Schuyler came up to work on the plant but wasn't having much luck when I left.

"Frank borrowed D.P.'s car for the occasion and arrived a little after three.  Then we went out and met Fannie on the new road and took her with us.

"Mrs. Walter Jones certainly is lovely.  I think there were about twenty present, and we had splendid eats, Victrola music, the shower, and an impromptu program, which was so good we hated to break up the party.

"Gwilym and Anne brought us home.  It was chilly but surely a fine ride!"

Saturday, September 23, 1916 -
"This hasn't seemed like Saturday, as we haven't done anything but entertain our guests, but I think that is about as strenuous as cleaning.  I worked a good share of the morning baking four pies and helping with dinner.  The Colonel and Mrs. Whitley arrived about 10:00.  Mrs. Whitley is a very odd, gruff speaking woman but seemed to enjoy thoroughly her visit.  She said she hasn't been away from Emporia for five years.  She and the colonel both seemed to enjoy their meals so.  I suppose they like a change from hotel fare once in a while.  But I'll admit we did have good eats." 

Sunday, September 24, 1916 -
"I got in quite early tonight - before ten o'clock.  And we were in the buggy, too.  But Mr. Huchins is ill, so we had no preaching tonight - nor this morning either.  Uncle Jimmy is ill, too, and Mrs. McGregor, so Sunday School didn't seem natural at all this morning.  Mrs. Phinney had me give the Quarterly Review before the school. 

"Papa received a telegram from Lester this morning, saying that (sister) Mary had had the operation and was getting along all right.  I don't know when Papa will decide to go.  But I am glad it is over with, and I do hope Mary will be much better for it and will get along nicely."

You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post:
http://www.starwoodquilter.blogspot.com/2012/04/farmers-daughter-quilt-mosaic-100.html

8 comments:

  1. Ah, the rhythm of every day life!! such fun times too!!

    Love the red fabric is this block!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a charming block to add to your collection. It looks so much more attractive done in fabric than just black and white lines on a printed page.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Susan. I just nominated your blog for a "Liebster Award". Come by and check out my latest blog post to learn more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found your blog ... love reading the posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I receive your blog post by email and never seem to leave a comment but I read everyone faithful and enjoy every bit of it. So today I wanted to let you know I appreciate the work you put into you quilt and your blog. I appreciate that you share your Grandmothers diary. You should think of getting her work published, she wrote very well. Just wanted you to know I appreciate what your doing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not only seeing beautiful quilt blocks. I love reading your Grandmother’s diary. Such easy reading and so good.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!