|Mystery Quilt Block|
Pattern information can be found here
This month, the Quilters' Book Club is reading and discussing The Lover's Knot by Clare O'Donohue, the first of her Someday Quilts Mystery Series. We'd love to have you join us. Grab the book from your local library and start reading!
To be honest, until I began doing research for this book, I had never heard the term "cozy mystery." If you're like me, let me fill you in:
I found an absolutely wonderful site http://www.cozy-mystery.com/ that is focused entirely on cozy mysteries. The author of the site provides a wealth of information and resources about this genre.
Here are quotes from this site to define what a cozy mystery is:
1. “The crime-solver is usually a woman who is an amateur sleuth.”
2. “Although the cozy mystery sleuth is usually not a medical examiner, detective, or police officer, a lot of times her best friend, husband, or significant other is.”
3. “The local police force doesn’t take the amateur sleuth very seriously.”
4. “Cozy mysteries are considered ‘gentle’ books … no graphic violence, no profanity, and no explicit sex. Most often, the crime takes place ‘off stage’ and death is usually very quick.”
5. “The cozy mystery usually takes place in a small picturesque town or village.”
6. “Cozy mysteries tend to be fast-paced, with several twists and turns throughout each book. There are usually several red herrings to provide distracting clues to the reader.”
7. “The cozy mystery puts an emphasis on plots and character development.”
8. “A cozy mystery is often part of a series.”
The author of the Cozy-Mystery site goes into more detail about each of these aspects. I would encourage you to check out her website. And member Auntie Em wrote a blog post on Cozy Mysteries you'll want to check out here.
The website states that “many cozy mystery readers are intelligent women looking for a fun read that engages the mind, as well as provides entertainment.” Why do you like to read cozy mysteries? Is there an aspect listed above that is especially important to you? Please answer in the comment section below. (If you are reading via email, click on the title at the top of the post so you can comment and read the comments of others.) Remember, there is no right or wrong answer. We'd just love to hear your ideas!
On a side note, Google is ending their convenient Google Reader on July 1. I would encourage you to click the Bloglovin' link at the top right side of my post to conveniently be able to read new blog posts.
By commenting, you are entering your name in a giveaway for a $20 gift certificate to Fat Quarter Shop, courtesy of Fat Quarter Shop! The more posts you comment on, the greater your chance of winning. Winner will be announced July 1!
You might also enjoy reading my previous blogpost here.