Thursday, March 8, 2012

Birthday Cake Quilt Block


     I found the pattern for this Birthday Cake block in 5,500 Quilt Block Designs and drafted it to 6" square. 
     In these diary entries, Hattie's siblings, George and Anna, are 12-year-old twins.  Minerva is her older, married sister who's just had a baby.  Brother Ted has a birthday and turns 15.  Grace is a hired girl, and Rag is a horse!
     Hattie is dating Frank (her future husband).  Mrs. George is his mother, and Betty and Fannie are his sisters.  
   
Saturday, August 12, 1916 -
"Mother came home this evening, and she just now presented me with a blue and white striped skirt.  Just what I have been wanting to wear to the picnic next Saturday.

"Papa and George went to Osage this afternoon to get the batteries for the car, but there was something else needed for the batteries, so they came home without - still no lights.  So Papa had to drive Rag up to meet Mother.

"I am not quite so sleepy as I was last night, although I am a little tired.  I slept, as the dead to the world, until 5:30 this A.M., and it was with difficulty that I arose then.  I baked 3 apple pies, a 3 layer chocolate cake, a peach cobbler, made applesauce, pickled beets and prepared vegetables for dinner while Grace and Anna cleaned, churned, etc.  We were all very industrious.  I made over my pink chiffon girdle this afternoon - it is quite fussy."

Sunday, August 13, 1916 -
"I have just been down to take a dose of medicine and then ate a piece of pie to take the taste out of my mouth.  The pie will probably countermand all the good the medicine would have done.

"It has been a lovely cool day, for a change, and cloudy part of the time.  Papa took us to Sunday School in the car, then he went up to see Minerva; she was up today.  There were not many out today, and we were all bunched up with other classes.  Uncle Jimmy wanted me to teach the young men's class!  Of course, I wouldn't consent.

"We sure had the best dinner today.  The roast beef was fine, and I was hungry.  It was Ted's birthday celebration.  Papa gave him a riding bridle.

"Just before supper, Papa and I had a nice little chat about my going to school.  He acted very favorable and is willing for me to try to do something.

"Oh, there is so much going on this week, I'll have to choose what I shall take in.  There is to be a League social Tuesday night, and Grace spoke of having a party for Jack and Gladys Wednesday night; and Wednesday, Mrs. George entertains the Lebo Ladies Aid and has asked us over.  Thursday night Betty and Fannie are entertaining for their cousin, and Saturday is the picnic.

"And I have sewing and oodles to do!"

Hattie's Apple Crumb Pie
4 large, tart apples
1/2 recipe Plain Pastry
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup butter

1.  Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2.  Pare apples; cut in eighths and arrange in 9-inch pastry-lined pie pan.  Sprinkle with 1/2 cup sugar mixed with cinnamon.
3.  Sift remaining 1/3 cup sugar with flour; cut in butter until crumbly.  Sprinkle over apples.
4.  Bake for 10 minutes.  Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake about 40 minutes more, or until apples are tender.   

You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post:
http://www.starwoodquilter.blogspot.com/2012/03/galaxy-star-quilt-block-89-10.html

3 comments:

  1. Good morning Susan! The block really looks like a piece of birthday party cake!! So bright and cheery!! What is a pink chiffon girdle? All I can picture is the elastic things ladies wore in the fifties!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love this block. It looks like a cake. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to your Grandmother! What a lovely block. My Grandmother was from about the same time frame and she taught me to love hand sewing, but I wish she had kept a diary!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!