Thursday, March 1, 2012

Village Square Quilt Block


     The fun center fabric is Aneela Hoey's Little Apples fabric by Moda.  I found the idea for this pattern in The Quilter's Album of Patchwork Patterns by Jinny Beyer.  It was originally published by Nancy Cabot in the Chicago Tribune on July 13, 1937.  It is also known as Art Square, and I found the pattern for it on-line here: http://www.quilterscache.com/A/ArtSquareBlock.html
     In these diary entries, Hattie is 20 years old, Minerva is her 30-year-old (oldest) sister, and Howard is her 19-year-old brother.  Frank is her future husband (and my grandfather), though they are just dating now. 

Tuesday, August 1, 1916 -
"It's actually raining!  What a relief!  After a warm, dusty day, it surely feels good to me.  For some reason or other, I couldn't sleep last night.  I just tossed around and finally had to come in the house - it was cool on the porch, too. 

"O, yes, I voted today.  Hope I did it right so that my vote will count, and I do hope Mr. Pringle gets the Senatorial nomination over Mr. Logan.  I'm sure we have all done our share.

"I went to the dentist after I had been to the polls, and after my tooth was filled, Mother and Papa and I went down to the restaurant and each had a sundae.  Mr. and Mrs. Sam Schrader are running the place now.  Then Mother and I went up to see Minerva while Papa did some more electioneering and came home about six o'clock."

Wednesday, August 2, 1916 -
"The rain wasn't half a sprinkle, and it has been one of the hottest days on record today.  Not a breath of air - but just hot!  Just now a little breeze has started, which I sincerely hope continues.

"Papa, Howard, and I went to town tonight, and I ran the car going up.  It seemed all the Fords were out this evening.  We were down to the depot with May a little, and then I went to the post office with Grace Keller.  Frank was in town to hear the election returns.  We are all rejoicing because Mr. Pringle won with a good majority."

Thursday, August 3, 1916 -
"I have crocheted quite a bit today and wrote a letter to Bing.  I started one on the typewriter but made a row of mistakes at the bottom of the first page so gave it up and wrote in the good, old-fashioned way.

"Howard has a date tonight with May.  It took him all afternoon to get ready.  I told him if a date caused such a rejuvenation, he'd ought to have them more often." 



You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post:

1 comment:

  1. Another wonderful post!! I just realized that I have kept a log of my daily activities, some with insights and thoughts. Maybe someday, my grandchildren will read them and be encouraged!!

    Have a wonderful day!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!