Thursday, March 22, 2012

Grape Basket Quilt Block


     I found the pattern for this 10" Grape Basket block in The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt by Laurie Aaron Hird.  I had the grapes fabric left from a picnic quilt I had made so thought it would be fun to use in this block.
     In these diary entries, Grace is a hired girl who helps with housework.  Anna is Hattie's 12-year-old sister, and Minerva is her oldest sister (30-years-old), who lives nearby.  Ruth and Mary are older sisters living in Washington.  Mother is Hattie's step-mother who was born in Germany, which is currently fighting in World War I.  The United States will not enter the war until 1917.  Hen and Fern are high school friends from Emporia, Kansas.  Hattie is dating Frank, who will later become her husband and my grandfather.  

Tuesday, August 22, 1916 -
"I helped Grace put out a big washing today, but the air was so fresh that I didn't get tired at all, but I certainly did sunburn hanging out the clothes.  I don't know why for the sun was not hot, but I am simply scarlet." 

Wednesday, August 23, 1916 -
"Mother and Anna spent the day with Minerva, it being her birthday.  They went about 10:30 and came home in time for supper.  Grace and I stayed home, kept house, and ironed.  I had my fill of doing up shirts and collars, am really becoming quite a laundress."

Thursday, August 24, 1916 -
"I hope something a little more exciting happens soon; it seems like this week is like the 'morning after.'  There was so much last week, and now the town is as dead as a cemetery.

"I have been making me a lace camisole today out of some lace I had.  I did some mending besides, so I didn't get it finished.  Mother made 16 glasses of grape jelly this morning.  We had a letter from Ruth this evening saying that Mary was some better and is up and around."

Friday, August 25, 1916 -
"Just four more months until Christmas! and not a thing started.  I have been all summer on that one yoke, and the sleeves are just started.  I'll sure have to whip up.

"And I have oodles to do if I go to school.  I have received letters from both K.U. (Kansas University) and K.S.A.C. (Kansas State Agricultural College) but haven't decided on either of them yet.  Mother finally received a letter from Germany this morning, which makes her feel so much better - of course, it had been censored.

"I wrote a couple of letters - one to Hen and one to Fern, telling them that if it didn't rain, Frank and I would accept their invitation for Sunday.  But it may rain as it is cloudy and has been thundering and lightning this evening.  I wish we could at least get enough to settle the dust.

"Papa wishes me to put out the light so ----- " 

You might also enjoy my previous blog post:
http://www.starwoodquilter.blogspot.com/2012/03/basement-window-quilt-block.html

5 comments:

  1. The grapes in the basket are a wonderful touch. Those fabrics look like they were made to go together. I can relate to this one because the ironing was my job in our family (and that was with a right-handed iron before the days of steam)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. purple is my favorite color!!!! this is now my favorite block i think........hmmm that brings my list to about 20-30 favorites now...........my grandma(from germany too) raised me for a number of years and i feel so special reading about yours. thanks for sharing this. it is so great

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great use of the grapes!

    I need to look up the history of the term "morning after"...I'm curious when that started being used as a reference that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I missed this post for some reason!! Beautiful block! and of course Hattie's journal entries keep me on the edge of my seat!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful block and beautiful fabrics!!!Nice idea!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!