Saturday, February 22, 2014

Birthday Cake Quilt Block and Texas Sheet Cake

Birthday Cake Quilt Block Pattern Information

At school, we celebrate staff birthdays one day each month.  The Reading Interventionists and the 4th grade teachers were responsible for hosting the party this month.  We decided to celebrate the February birthdays by having a Salad and Dessert luncheon.  We coordinated our plans so that we had a variety of salads and desserts, along with homemade rolls.  Here's what I brought:

Texas Sheet Cake
1 cup butter
1/4 cup baking cocoa
1 cup water
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sour cream
2 eggs, beaten

1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2.  Combine butter, cocoa, and water in a saucepan; bring to a boil.  Set aside.
3.  Sift together dry ingredients; stir in chocolate mixture, then sour cream and eggs. 
4.  Pour into a greased jelly-roll pan.  Bake for 14 to 18 minutes, until a toothpick tests clean.*
5.  Top with Chocolate Frosting while still hot.  Serves 24.

Chocolate Frosting
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup baking cocoa
6 Tablespoons milk
16-ounce package powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine butter, cocoa, and milk and bring to a boil.  Remove from heat and stir in remaining ingredients.  Beat well.  Pour on hot cake. 

*Because I live at high altitude, I use an 11" x 15" x 2" pan that has taller sides than a jelly roll pan. 

Cranberry Pineapple Salad
1-3/4 cup water
1 (6 ounce) package raspberry-flavored jello
1 (16 ounce) can jellied cranberry sauce
1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
¾ cup orange juice
1 tablespoon lemon juice
½ cup chopped walnuts
½ cup chopped celery

1.  Bring water to a boil and remove from heat.  Add jello and stir until dissolved.
2.  Break up cranberry sauce and stir into jello until the cranberry sauce has dissolved.  Add pineapple, orange juice, lemon juice, walnuts, and celery. 
3.  Pour into a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.  Chill until firm. 

You might also enjoy my previous blog post Stitcher's Square Quilt Block and the Main Character Elizabeth Keckley in Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker.

3 comments:

  1. Yum, can I come to the March ♋️ one for my birthday, I'll bring a dish🍲! I'm sure I could pop over the pond 🌏 for a piece of cake 🍰 :-) x any idea how much a return ticket πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ - πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ ✈️ πŸš– ✈️πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ - πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ from England is these days? well worth a piece of your cake though, I'm sure. πŸŽ‚πŸ°πŸ˜œ Joking aside, I'm glad you enjoyed the February get together and best wishes to all for the March one x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I'm going to have to find my Texas sheet cake recipe that I used way back in Girl Scouts for a baking contest. I got honorable mention on my cake. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for two lovely recipes!!! Sounds like you had a blast!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!