Sunday, May 5, 2013

Moss Covered Rocks Around Starwood

Rolling Stone Quilt Block
 
 
 
"A rolling stone gathers no moss." 
 
Here's moss growing on some non-rolling stones
around our home, Starwood, after the snows of winter and spring.
 
 
 Solitude
 
To sit on rocks, to muse o'er flood and fell;
To slowly trace the forest's shady scene,
Where things that own not man's dominion dwell,
And mortal foot hath ne'er or rarely been!
To climb the trackless mountain all unseen.
With the wild flock, that never needs a fold;
Alone o'er steeps and foaming falls to lean;
This is not solitude: 'tis but to hold
Converse with Nature's charms, and view her stores unrolled.
              
                                 Lord George Gordon Byron

 
What is Green?
 
Green is the grass
And the leaves of trees
Green is the smell
Of a country breeze.
Green is lettuce
And sometimes the sea.
When green is a feeling
You pronounce it N.V.
Green is a coolness
You get in the shade
Of the tall old woods
Where the moss is made.
 
from Hailstones and Halibut Bones by Mary O'Neill


You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post here.

5 comments:

  1. Love the poems, am familiar with Hailstones and Halibut Bones. Lord Byron has such a musical lilt to his poetry. Thanks for sharing these. Starwood must be a lovely place to call home
    Hugs
    Nan

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my children were young, we rented a house with a big shady garden. My youngest son brought home moss from places he visited and planted it in that garden. It was so beautiful with such variety of color and texture and the hardest thing to leave behind when we moved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hailstones and Halibut Bones is a favorite - especially from my teaching-fourth-grade days. I appreciate how you combine poetry with quilting. I do that in my head sometimes but it hasn't yet made it out and into my blog! Your rolling stone block is pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your photos add a lot to your blogs. I enjoy looking at the scenery around your home. As for the mossy stones, I find them very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never lived where moss would grow on stones. Neat! After 3 days of rain/snow in MAY, I'm hoping it is all GONE till December. I'm sick of snow!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!