Tuesday, May 7, 2013

May Redwork Snowman

 
The month of May is named after the Greek goddess, Maia.  It is known as the Flower Moon or the Planting Moon.  May is a time when many flowers begin to bloom and when crops first emerge.  It is one of seven months that has 31 days. 
 
May-Time

There is but one May in the year,
        And sometimes May is wet and cold;
There is but one May in the year,
        But before the year grows old.

Yet, though it be the chilliest May
        With least of sun, and most of showers,
Its wind and dew, its night and day,
        Bring up the flowers.

        Anonymous

May Night

The spring is fresh and fearless
        And every leaf is new,
The world is brimmed with moonlight,
        The lilac brimmed with dew.

Here in the moving shadows
        I catch my breath and sing –
My heart is fresh and fearless
        And over-brimmed with spring.
 
            Sara Teasdale



You might also enjoy reading my previous blog post here.

7 comments:

  1. Our May begins on the 29th of March and continues to the 5th as "Golden Week". This year we got an extra day because the 5th was on Sunday. (and no snowmen for us either).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Sara Teasdale, such simple yet beautiful rythyms to her poems.
    hugs
    Nan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the poems and May's Snowman.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not know how May got it's name. Thank you for that. Great red work also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love this quilt, nice to see colors in the quilt other than red. I am always making a red work quilt as they are my favorite. This one has inspired me to use other fabrics in mine from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute snowman quilt, with all the fun, 30's repro prints.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the red work quilt! May means true spring where I live. The weather is just starting to warm. I heard the buzzing of the first fly of the season!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!