Thursday, February 2, 2012

Hattie's Choice Quilt Block

     I found this Grandmother's Choice quilt block free on-line at and decided to rename it Hattie's Choice.  Because Hattie is my grandmother, I don't think the name change is too much of a stretch!  I marked and stitched the Y-seams carefully and did not have any trouble with them.
     In these diary entries, Howard and Ted are Hattie's younger brothers.  Minerva is her already-married-with-children older sister.  Jesse is a hired man, and Grace is a young woman hired to help with the housework. 
     Hattie is in a predicament and has a choice to make - between spending the 4th of July with Howell Lusk or with Frank George (her future husband and my future grandfather)!   

Sunday, July 2, 1916 -
"When I awoke at seven o'clock this morning, I was fairly sunburned!  Of course, lying there in the broiling sun!  I must remember to close the curtain a little when I want to sleep late.

"Before I went to Sunday School this morning, Frank George called up and wanted a date for tonight.  So I gave it to him and asked him in time for supper for good measure.

"Papa and Howard and Ted and Jesse worked cutting and shocking oats today.  It seems as though they always choose the first Sunday in July as a work day - they made hay last year.  We kids went in the buggy to Sunday School, as there was no one to drive the car.  I broke the Sabbath also today by trimming a hat before I went to church.  But it was so blooming hot that I had to wear something to keep off the sun, so rigged up my panama.

"I sat around, read and napped and talked with Mother all afternoon until about five o'clock.  Then we strolled down to the oats field to meet Papa.  That field is certainly beautiful - I think I'll have to get a picture in the morning.

"The folks all went up to Minerva's to eat ice cream right after supper.  Frank and I sat around until church time and talked.  I think I either shocked or tickled all the natives.  I'm in sort of a predicament.  Here, Howell asked me last night to spend the Fourth in Lebo, and Frank asked me tonight.  It really should be "first come, first served," but forseeing the possibility of receiving another invitation, I didn't promise Howell anything, nor have I accepted Frank's.  Mother says, "Take the latter, by all means," and I want to, for I know I could have a better time.  Still, I don't know what to say to Howell.  I have until tomorrow evening to decide.  Which shall it be?"

Monday, July 3, 1916 -
"We have been getting ready for the Fourth today.  Mother and I both did some baking, and Grace cleaned the kitchen and basement.  Papa and Ted went to Osage City and made numerous purchases, including watermelon, etc. and a flag.  Mrs. Abbott came this evening, but I stayed home for I was expecting a telephone call.

"Howell did call, and I refused him!  I hated to do it, but I couldn't very well accept both.  I hope he doesn't feel 'stung,' for he certainly has been nice to me, and it's a rotten way to treat him, I know. 

"I was thinking back tonight and could remember what I had done for the last eleven Fourths!  Hope that I have as good a time tomorrow." 

You might also enjoy reading my previous blog entry:


  1. Beautiful block! And wonderful diary entry! So very interesting. Thanks for sharing!!

  2. I love reading these diary entries from a simpler time. Thank you so much for sharing them! And the quilt blocks are the icing on the cake!

  3. i am enjoying the storys as much as the block

  4. Perfect block for the diary entry and perfect name for the block!

  5. I found this site yesterday and have spent hours reading all the entries and looking at your lovely blocks. Thank you for sharing your Grandmother's journal with us. I grew up in the '50s in the Russell/Hays area of central Kansas, which was considerably less affluent than the eastern part of the state and the entries bring back many memories. My father was the person in our little town who hung mail bags next to the train tracks and delivered the bags thrown from the train, to the postoffice. He often had a difficult time finding the bags because they were thrown anywhere, at great speed, before or after passsing the depot. Although he owned his own business, my father was happy to have the mail-carrying work because it was a "Government" job. When he was ready to stop handling the mail my best friend's father eagerly succeeded him Again, thanks. Sheila


I love hearing from readers. Your comments make my day!